Costco recalling their rotisserie chicken due to salmonella outbreak

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/costc...-salomonella-risk-8C11381188?ocid=msnhp&pos=2

I really don't get the big scare over this. ALL poultry contains the salmonella bacteria. If you take the proper precautions in food prep, cleaning (both before after cooking, etc.) and cook your poultry to the right temperature, you're not going to have a problem.

I'd say that the 300+ people who have gotten sick either didn't follow proper safety procedures when preparing their chicken or didn't cook it to the right temp.

The products are Foster Farms rotisserie chickens and Kirkland Farm rotisserie chicken soup, rotisserie chicken leg quarters and rotisserie chicken salad. I assume these are fully prepared products. It sounds as if the foods were not adequately cooked before being sold.

BTW, 30 years ago there was no Salmonella in the US chicken industry. Now, one of the Foster Farms strains is rare and several of the strains are drug-resistant.

I handle ALL chicken products as if they were infected. That is the only way to look at this. Use proper safety precautions and the risk is minimal. That means to guard against cross contamination. Don't let your guard down, ever!

FWIW
Dale53:wsm:

I handle ALL chicken products as if they were infected. That is the only way to look at this. Use proper safety precautions and the risk is minimal. That means to guard against cross contamination. Don't let your guard down, ever!

FWIW
Dale53:wsm:

Yup, good philosophy. Wash your hands and clean all food surfaces frequently. Hot fresh soapy water, lots of paper towels. I use Windex and then Costco sanitizer wipes on the counters and sink.

Hopefully that's not where Harmons gets their chicken----just used one of their rotisserie birds in some enchiladas last Friday.

This board may well kill me one day ;)

(loving the Mole chicken thighs & enchiladas lately)

If you had ever had a child with permanent brain damage from salmonella you might not take it so lightly.
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/costc...-salomonella-risk-8C11381188?ocid=msnhp&pos=2

I really don't get the big scare over this. ALL poultry contains the salmonella bacteria. If you take the proper precautions in food prep, cleaning (both before after cooking, etc.) and cook your poultry to the right temperature, you're not going to have a problem.

I'd say that the 300+ people who have gotten sick either didn't follow proper safety procedures when preparing their chicken or didn't cook it to the right temp.

The products are Foster Farms rotisserie chickens and Kirkland Farm rotisserie chicken soup, rotisserie chicken leg quarters and rotisserie chicken salad. I assume these are fully prepared products. It sounds as if the foods were not adequately cooked before being sold.

BTW, 30 years ago there was no Salmonella in the US chicken industry. Now, one of the Foster Farms strains is rare and several of the strains are drug-resistant.

I can understand the products listed above being recalled if there are concerns that they were not properly cooked prior to being sold, but recalling the actual rotisserie chickens doesn't make sense since those are cooked on their rotisserie machine prior to being sold and they're cooked to the proper temp before they're put in the containers and put out for sale. We just bought one earlier today while in Costco and temperature was not an issue since I could barely touch the container.

I picked up some rare case of salmonella years ago while I was overseas. Started getting sick on the flight back, the entire 777 was not liking me and my upset stomach. Ended up going to the ER when we got back and was laid up for an entire week in the hospital. Not fun. Digital thermometers are my friend now!

Back