Costco Pork Shoulder

Pat D

TVWBB Member
I just picked up a pack of pork shoulders from Costco for a smoke on Thursday and was wondering if they cook faster because they are deboned. There's a slit up the middle where the bone was removed. Also, should I tie it up before smoking?

Thanks!

If you cut them apart they will cook faster and you will get more bark. If you tie them up they cook about the same time as with a bone in. I usually tie them up because I find them easier to handle.

All tied up and ready to put on at 5:00am. My neighbors just had their first baby girl and I'm bringing pulled pork for the family!

I have purchased the Costco shoulders and they have always tasted good. I've got both a Sam's and Costco nearby so I can choose..I've been buying the Sam's shoulders since they have the bone-in. Not sure why, I guess I'm used to the whole piece instead of the diced up ones at costco...I also buy most of my ribs at Costco...They sell the St Louis already prepped

I've always gotten my pork butts from Costco and have always been very satisfied with their cost and quality... same with their country style boneless spare ribs. Like Mr. Sample, I tie the boneless pork butts for even cooking. Tie them up enough and they can even survive the rotisserie test! I did my last one on the rotisserie as an experiment and it worked out well. But my next one is going back in the WSM....

Last edited:

Back