Cost of running electric cooker?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this. One of the guys at my camp was jokingly complaining about the consumption of electricity when using the brinkman electric smoker. It made me wonder, are they expensive to operate? I think not given the 1500 watt element, kinda like a space heater, but perhaps running full time for 5-8 hours it adds up. Anyone know how to tell or calculate? Mostly curious.

1500 watts is 1.5 KW (kilowatt). Every hour you run it, you consume 1.5KWh (kilowatt hour) of electricity. Currently, in this market, 1 KWh costs $0.1065, including Fuel Adjustment. Therefore, running it for 8 hours would cost about $0.85. See your electric bill for your current energy cost.

Edit: Bad math. 1.5KW x 8hr x $.1065 = ~$1.28

wow, are you kidding, 85 cents for 8 hours (our electric rates avg 10.5 cents). That's incredibly cheap. The guy on the lease was telling me $1 per hour and halfway complaining, in a friendly way. I was unable to argue his point, other than to think of space heaters where they say they run for "pennies per hour".

Is the math really that simple at 1500 + 1.5 kw x 10.5 cents? I must admit, I would have expected it to be 50-75 cents per hour, not 10.5 cents.

I started out with a electric Brinkman with temp adjustemnt. I ran mine pretty much every day from November thru January making venison summer sausage my electric bill jumped like $20.00 a month. I didn't thinkit was to bad.

Doug, thank you. I am pleased to know they are very efficient. Not that i am counting pennies b/c it doesn't matter that much, but I suspect that is equal to or better than gas and charcoal.

Gary, did you have a problem with elements burning given all the useage? I heard that is one drawback to the electrics.

Back