Corned beef Season

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Yep its that time of year again. Picked up a 12.7 pound brisket from our restaurant supply. $4,79/pound this year so up a dollar from last year.

Did the normal cure using digging dog farms cure calculator.

I trimmed up the brisket and separated into the point and flat. As is the norm I ground up pickling spice and gave the both pieces a liberal coat after applying the cure. Vac packed and into the fridge until the 18th or 19th. Plan on having a family gathering that weekend. I will sous vide the flat and smoke the point. Going to cure a whole chicken and smoke that up too. More on all of that in another post after the festivities.

51932353061_a47dda63be_c.jpg

51931373427_63d268ec0a_c.jpg

51932353091_810a1a4d00_c.jpg

51932430233_3fb6ab728c_c.jpg

Yep its that time of year again. Picked up a 12.7 pound brisket from our restaurant supply. $4,79/pound this year so up a dollar from last year.

I trimmed up the brisket and separated into the point and flat. As is the norm I ground up pickling spice and gave the both pieces a liberal coat after applying the cure. Vac packed and into the fridge until the 18th or 19th. Plan on having a family gathering that weekend. I will sous vide the flat and smoke the point. Going to cure a whole chicken and smoke that up too. More on all of that in another post after the festivities.

51932353091_810a1a4d00_c.jpg

51932430233_3fb6ab728c_c.jpg
What are you doing with all those trimmings?

Looks good.
Put a 12 pounder in brine Tuesday. Separated flat and point and trimmed about as lean as yours. Managed to get it all in the Briner Jr. Was making up the brine and discovered I was out of pickling spice. Luckily had everything needed to throw together enough.

Just got one today!

I got a flat to smoke - WSM - but should I have gone with a point?t 's pre-corned, if that makes a difference.

I know I've got to de-corn it in water for several hours but any other tips appreciated.

Just got one today!

I got a flat to smoke - WSM - but should I have gone with a point?t 's pre-corned, if that makes a difference.

I know I've got to de-corn it in water for several hours but any other tips appreciated.
For making a pastrami?

Yes/Maybe?

Actually not sure if it's be a proper pastrami; just want to low n slow it for several hours then wrap until it's tender enough for slicing but not shredding.
If it’s corned, soak it for 30 hours and replace the water every 10 hours. Then make a pastrami rub and rub it. Amazingribs.com has a great how to and recipe guide. Then smoke it and steam it. Bruno just did one and his looked perfect.

Just got one today!

You can smoke either. The point is more forgiving though for a long smoke as its a fattier cut.

Sunce you havea a pre-corned piece, cut a small piece off and fry it up and taste it to make sure its not too salty. Store bought corned beef is notoriously too salty. If its too salty soak the corned beef in water for a hour or so, changing the water every 30 minutes. You can also add a whole russet potato (halved) int the water to help pull the salt out.

Looks good.
Put a 12 pounder in brine Tuesday. Separated flat and point and trimmed about as lean as yours. Managed to get it all in the Briner Jr. Was making up the brine and discovered I was out of pickling spice. Luckily had everything needed to throw together enough.
I used to make my own pickling spice but the last several years I've become lazy and get a big tub from the restaurant supply.

Enough time to wet cure a flat if you're not cooking it until the weekend after.
I sealed up an eye of round with dry cure on Feb. 14 so it'll definitely be ready to boil Thursday.

Back