Corned Beef Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Lynch

TVWBB Member
Anyone have any experience smoking or just indirect cooking a corned beef brisket? Would love a recipe and advice regarding weber cooking temp and internal food temp for doneness.

If you smoked it, then it would be pastrami. My impression has always been that corned beef and pastrami are seasoned and cured the same, but the smoke cooked version is pastrami. There are various methods to cook a corned beef brisket after curing, slowly simmering, covered in water, on the stovetop, for example.

Start here as a reference on the curing process. I am assuming here that you want to take a brisket flat and do your own cure.

I've cured and smoked a few corned beefs turning them into pastrami.

If you all ready have a corned beef flat from a grocery store and want to smoke it to make pastrami, I would suggest soaking the corned beef for a couple of days and changing the water at least twice a day. This helps remove salt from the curing process. I would suggest cooking a pork butt above the corned beef so that you can keep the meat moist. I would use a 4/1 ratio of cracked black pepper to cracked coriander for a rub. Adding some garlic powder and a little cayenne pepper for bite is also good.

Corned beefs smoke faster than a brisket will. You really only need to go to a temp of 160.

If you want to start from scratch with a full packer cut brisket there are several recipes of the web. I also have one I could send off the forum. The author gives some fairly detailed instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back