Cornbread - blue ribbon - lightly sweet and crusty

Originally posted by Mike F.:
My wife made this last night in a 10 inch wagner frying pan in the oven. Really good! Thank you Keri!

Mike
Mike, I agree, it is very good corn bread, love this recipe, Thanks Keri.
icon_wink.gif
Since I bought a 1 lb bag of maple sugar to make maple bacon with (only use 1/4 cup per 5 lb pork belly) I had a thought about using the maple sugar instead of regular sugar in this corn bread recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.
icon_biggrin.gif

OOOOhhhh I bet that would be good! When a sweet tooth hits and I have some cornbread around, sometimes I'll mix up either some butter and honey or butter and maple syrup to spread on a square of cornbread. As good as the maple butter is on it, I bet the maple sugar would work out great. I look forward to hearing what you think!

Originally posted by Keri C:
sometimes I'll mix up either some butter and honey or butter and maple syrup to spread on a square I look forward to hearing what you think!
Yep butter or butter & honey is my 2 fav for corn bread. Keri, you won't have to wait long. I made up your corn bread tonight with 1/3rd cup of maple sugar. I use a Norpro jumbo muffin pan when I make your corn bread, about 17-18 min bake time, in non pre heated jumbo muffin pan. I have 5 jumbo corn bread muffins to take to work with me Thursday and a stick of butter. I'll post the results of what my crew and myself think of the maple sugar addition after work tomorrow.
icon_biggrin.gif

SKARX-cornbread.jpg

Update: Every one loved them. Here's the odd thing though. When cold you couldn't taste the maple flavor, but once nuked to warm them up, the maple flavor was there.

Since my baking powder had the aluminum compound in it I used the formula:
1T.Baking Powder = 1/2T.baking soda+1/4T.cream of Tartar+1/4T.Corn Starch.
I prepared a batch of this cornbread in a skillet and when it was golden brown and a knife blade inserted into the bread was removed clean and dry, it was done.... Some was consumed with some molassas and butter while still hot... GREAT!!!! Very pleased with the results...

Originally posted by john c:
Keri, couldn't help but notice putting cornbread in a glass of milk.

My dad used to put cornbread in a glass of milk, or even buttermilk, at the end of just about every supper we had at home - that was his "dessert".
icon_smile.gif

Going to try this once I get back to cooking again.

Just curious.

I recently picked up a Griswald #12 (with lid!) and want to give it a try as well after making sure it is seasoned properly. Doesn't look to bad now but will treat it again to be sure.

Someone posted up thread that the recipe was just right for a #8 so I know I will need to adjust. So for "proper" thickness and to allow for any rise during the baking process how far up the pan (or how far from the top) should the batter reach to assure decent thickess after it risen a bit and set?

Originally posted by r benash:

Someone posted up thread that the recipe was just right for a #8 so I know I will need to adjust. So for "proper" thickness and to allow for any rise during the baking process how far up the pan (or how far from the top) should the batter reach to assure decent thickess after it risen a bit and set?
When I do the muffin pan I fill about 2/3 rd's full to get a nice dome on top. You could do the same in the Griswold. Somewhere between 1/2 - 2/3 full. HTH

FYI: To those looking for the Rumford Baking Powder. I noticed it at BJ's today.
icon_wink.gif

Just put in a batch this morning in my 10" cast iron skillet. Loved the sound of the batter landing on the hot Crisco. Can't wait to try it....Damn, still 12 minutes on the timer.

Fast forward.......This cornbread rocks!!

Thanks Keri for sharing this recipe.
Steve

Outstanding corn bread Keri. Also made a batch in my cast iron 10 inch skillet. Added 1 Tbs or so of chopped pickled jalapenos for a nice bite. Mmmmmmm gooooood.

Originally posted by Don Irish:
Outstanding corn bread Keri. Also made a batch in my cast iron 10 inch skillet. Added 1 Tbs or so of chopped pickled jalapenos for a nice bite. Mmmmmmm gooooood.

Wish I'd thought of that...oh well, guess I'll have to make another batch!

Steve

Originally posted by Steve Z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:

Wish I'd thought of that...oh well, guess I'll have to make another batch!

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,
I wish I could take credit for this, but back in the early 80's when I was in grad school in San Antonio, the Hispanic ladies in the cafeteria who were excellent cooks had trays of jalapeno corn bread once a week....Keri's recipe brought back the memories (also memories of carne guisada, fresh tortillas and home made salsa - boy those ladies could cook!).
Don

Great recipe Kerri! Tried this with my Tri Tip chili today in the #10. Definitely want to give a try with buttermilk and perhaps try the standard recipe again but increase the quantity by half.

TriTipChili012909023.jpg

TriTipChili012909024.jpg

Second time's a charm. Once again today, this time in an a #8. Didn't check, just let it cook for 30 minutes, and perfect. First time (above) was just a little on the dry side by comparison. Probably because of the #10 spread things out a little too thin.

This one "popped right out". A little more liberal with the bacon grease this time.

Great recipe that will be repeated often here! Next time I'm going to give those old Griswold wheat stick pans a shot.

Kerry, I have a couple different sizes of the these wheat molds. For reference fill the cavities to about 2/3 full? Or more like 3/4? Realize it's not critical.

Looks like you pull the molds out a little earlier than if baking in a pan though?

I want to make this bread for my next barbeque party. Can I make this a few hours before people arrive without it drying out? After the bread is done, how should I store it until I serve it? Thank you!

Keri,
I gave your cornbread recipe to my wife this evening and told her to follow it
step by step. The only thing left after supper was an empty cast iron
skillet with a few crumbs, which is highly unusual for when we have cornbread.
My wife says it's the best cornbread she has ever eaten and that your recipe
is definitely a keeper. All of us agreed that it was some of the best.

My wife and I are blessed with mothers who where and are outstanding cooks. My grandmother
cooked cornbread on top the stove in a cast iron skillet. She would cook it on one side to
her liking and then turn it over to finish cooking. I was only 7 or 8 years old
watching her do this amazed at how she was able to flip the cornbread with out it falling apart.

Thank you for such a wonderful recipe and we all look forward to enjoying your cornbread in
the future.

RLM

Back