Copper River Salmon at Sam's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chet Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
Just got back from Sam's club and while strolling through the meats noticed they had Copper River Salmon for $2.59lb.

They also had whole Sockeye if you prefer. Generally, all I have seen around here has been farm raised Atlantic.

I picked up about 10lbs. I have a little plan.

Wow, that sounds like a great deal! For that price I'd be eating it 3 nights a week while it lasts! I've been paying $1.79 - $2.29 /100g * 4.54 100g/lb = $8.13 - $10.40 /lb for wild sockeye here.

How is it you can get salmon shipped from so far for 1/4 - 1/3 the price I pay when we have salmon in this country? <scratches head> Something wrong here, even after exchange rate...Don't get me wrong, happy for ya. Just wish it wasn't so expensive here.

So, what ya gonna do with it? So far I've smoked it appetizer style and grilled some cedar planked. I want to try that Cardogs too, it looks really good. Cut it into 1-1/4"steaks and grill it......do the whole salmon wrapped in foil on the grill <somebody stop me!>.

Shawn - keep looking. I'm in the province next door, even further from the ocean. Prices are very good right now. I've bought several whole fresh wild pink salmon (not sockeye) over the past couple of weeks for $1.25 to $2 per lb. (approx. $3-$4 per kg). I don't remember prices for sockeye, but in general they're nowhere near the prices you mention. Try Superstore - they've been a good source.
I tried the Cardogs recipe last weekend, and it turned out very good. Since the whole fish were only 3-4 lbs, (and not really thick enough to warrant smoking the whole fillet like on TVWB's current home page), I skinned them and applied the cure / rub to the whole fish. I then balanced them lengthwise (using the open gut for stability) on the WSM. Highly recommended! (I used apple for smoke)

Thanks Rob, $10.40 /lb for wild sockeye fillets WAS at Superstore, the cheaper price was Sobey's believe it or not .... I've seen prices you are speaking of for pink, but sockeye has been expensive. I continue to look ... sounds like a good way to cook them, think I'll try that ......

First batch of Copper River salmon is on. I'm going for an appetizer style smoke. I'm really excited. I like smoked salmon.

The only challenge is that I have no thermometer. I sent my ET-73 back to Maverick for replacement. Oh, well. Caveman put meat on fire and hope for best.

Chet

*in truth, I kind of enjoy a bit of the suspense, I'm only cooking it for me*

I thought I liked the stuff from the store, you know, died red with cracked pepper on it....but this stuff .... wow, doesn't even compare! I don't think you'll be disappointed Chet! We here ummmed oohed and awwwd for some time.....

I basically did the brined appetizer from TVWB but skipped the toppings before smoking (just a little fresh pepper). 225F-250F about 4 hours, until dried, but not jerky, fillets weren't too thick to start with. Didn't check temp, just cooked until it seemed sufficiently dried and firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back