Cooling Down the Bullet

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
Although I usually use the Minion method, on my last smoke I started with a full Weber chimney. The temp quickly went up to 300* at the vent and I couldn't get it down. It was about 40 degrees outside. Any tricks to that?

While we're at it -- what's the best way to get a long constant 200* temp? Even using Minion, I have trouble keeping below 250* at the top vent.

Thanks. Looking forward to warm weather and lots of pork.

If there is no water in the pan or if there is room available you can add cold water and/or ice to lower temps (also close lower vents). Other than that, to lower quickly you have to remove lit fuel from the cooker.

I'm not sure what you'd want to cook at 200 other than, perhaps, very well-marbled brisket (it is a barbecue myth, imo, that lower is always better), but for a 200 cook temp Minion the start with fewer lit coals and restrict lower vents sooner. Make sure the cooker is not in direct sun and block the wind/breeze. Use cooler water to start and leave room to add more if needed.

Adding any type of cold mass will bring your temps down, provided you get in and out so as not to stoke the lit fuel with Oxygen. I keep fire bricks in my shed. At this time of year here in Wisconsin they are plenty cold, so if I need to bring temps down I foil a couple and throw them in the cooker.

If you decide to stick a big ole rock in your freezer, don't tell your spouse that you got the idea from me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
If you decide to stick a big ole rock in your freezer, don't tell your spouse that you got the idea from me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, the visions.....

Laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes!

JimT

Start with less lit when using the minion method. Most people that start with a full chimney are doing a high heat smoke. Like for the high heat brisket or for a turkey. So start with less lit and let it slowly creep up to 200*.

Also once the temp get to about 170 close the vents a bit. Then see how that affects your temps and if the temp does not hotter open them up a little bit to let more air in. Its much easier to keep a low temp low then to bring a high temp down.

Oh and if you do not have food in there yet since you just put the coals on you can close the top vent as well as the bottom vents. That should bring the temp down pretty quick. But I wouldn't do that with food in it.

Back