Cook's Country Classic Barbecued Chicken

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
This evening, we had the absolute best chicken EVER!

My wife was at the local market and picked up six drumsticks at a buy (nearing the "sell by" date). I decided to grill them on my littlest grill (the 18.5" One Touch Silver).

I opened my copy of "Cook's Country Best Grilling Recipes" and decided to go with their "Classic Barbecued Chicken". I only made one change in the recipe - I brined the chicken for a couple of hours in the 'frig.

The book had very specific instructions for indirect cooking and applying barbecue sauce. I used "Sweet Baby Ray's" original sauce.

The instuctions were great, everything went as planned (even the time line) and my wife agreed that this was the best chicken EVER!

That recipe is now on my FOREVER list of dinners for us and guests whenever we are looking for a real taste treat.

Highly Recommended!

Dale53

That link works only if you are a paid member of Cook's Country.

I am a member of Cook's Illustrated, but not CC or ATK.

Can you summarize the recipe?

Chris;
I provided a link to the recipe in the post directly above your post. I didn't realize that link would only be usable for members of the website. Duh-h-h!

Send me an e-mail (click on my name) and I'll send you a copy of the recipe.

Good eating!
Dale53

I had an out of town visitor (from Virginia) and I did a whole chicken (cut into parts) on the OTG using this method.

It was extremely good, again. The chicken was juicy, the barbecue sauce was laid on in layers and was WONDERFUL. The chicken came off just right, both the breast meat and the dark meat.

CooksClassicBarbecueChickenSelect-1175.jpg

Dale53

I followed the recipe this weekend.

The technique worked very well and was a nice change from my regular smoked/roasted chicken. This was old fashioned BBQ chicken with lots of sticky sauce.

I'll do it again. Thanks for emailing me the recipe.

Chris;
When we find something special, then we are supposed to share! At least, that's my philosophy...
icon_biggrin.gif

Glad you liked it!

Dale53

I have two tips for you with this recipe. Brine about an hour before starting. Thirty minutes will work.

Second tip:
When you move the pieces over the fire to finish, you'll discover that you need to rotate about every minute to keep from burning.

I LOVE this method and recipe!

Dale53

In the recipe are they saying to add the molasses, ketchup, cider vinegar, etc. to 3 cups of bottle sauce? I wasn't sure if they are trying to say use 3 cups of bottled sauce or make the sauce below it in the recipe.

They are calling for you to start with 3 cups of bottled sauce. Then you add the other ingredients. I used some Sweet Baby Ray's that I wanted to get rid of, with a piece of bottle of Stubbs, to get to 3 cups.

They recommend their barbecue sauce and the recipe makes three cups. Bottled sauce is not part of their recipe. I used bottled instead of their sauce - it was so good, I haven't yet been able to bring myself to use anything else...

Dale53

I think bottled sauce IS part of their recipe for what they call "jazzed up" BBQ sauce. They offer it as an alternative to "plain" bottled sauce.

The recipe Robert sent me reads like this:

"Although our jazzed-up barbecue sauce is best, this recipe also works with plain store-bought sauce; our favorite brand is Bull's-Eye."

Quick BBQ Sauce

3 cups barbecue sauce (bottled)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons brown mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder

If you take out the bottled sauce, the other ingredients in the recipe only add up to just over 1.25 cups.

Chris;
Thanks for clarifying that. Frankly, since I was using bottled sauce, I ignored their sauce.

It's always better to know the REAL story
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Dale53

Chris;
For some reason, I was troubled by my earlier comments about the sauce being in conflict with yours. I try to be REALLY careful when passing something along to help others. I also knew, from reading the recipe I sent to you, that you were right.

I went back to my book for another look at the sauce in there.

It turns out we were BOTH right. The book does NOT mention using bottled sauce in the recipe (other than you can choose that instead of Cook's homemade sauce).

The later recipe that you are using suggests using a bottled sauce as a basis for making your own (as you pointed out).

Well, now that we have cleared up that momentous problem, maybe we can address the National Debt (LOL).

Good grillin'!!
Dale53

Back