Cooking w/pellets. Quick (SOS) question.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
HI, Is 1/3 cup of BBQers delight pellets really enough? Seems pretty small compared to my usual 3 chunks hickory 3 chunks apple/hickory / what have you.

I'm about to put on a 7lb brisket flat. I'm resisting the urge to do.... like 2 cups!

Rob,

If it was me, I would make at least two and maybe 3 packets of 1/3 cup each and hide the other two somewhere in the coals.

I, personally, don't think 1/3 cup is enough with brisket, butt or any large hunk of meat. Maybe chicken, perhaps ribs.

Just my opinion. Individual results may vary.
icon_biggrin.gif

Happy New Year!

Rob, if you use those 2 cups' worth, I'm afraid you're going to oversmoke. Remember, Candy Sue won 1st in brisket at Lebanon using 1 cup of the JD pellets, total. Two foil packets had 1/3 cup each (about the amount of one of the sample packets) that she buried in the unlit charcoal to fire later during the cook, and one packet she tossed on the coals at the start of her cook.

I've done briskets with just the initial packet of pellets before, and been pleased, especially if I was feeding someone who didn't really care for a really strong smokey flavor.

Just my 2-cents... I'd go for 1 cup total in three different packets if you're a smoky kinda guy.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Thanks a lot Keri & Bruce. 1 cup total buried in 3 foil packets it is.

Man I just knew 1/3 cup wasn't gonna cut it.

Mustard slathered brisket w/armadillo willy's rub. sasafrass pellets.

I'll be getting up at 5 to put on the ribs.

Funny I can remember not so long ago I used to go to bed at 5AM New Year's day. Now.... I'm getting up at 5
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey Rob, How did the cook go with the 2 foil packets buried in the coals. I'm afraid to do that, with all of that foil it may be hard to mantain the fire. I'd think it might be cooking a little cool. Just my $0.02.

Hey Nick, It turned out fine. Guru ramp mode kept it between 225 and 260 for the entire cook.

Just finishing up the chickens now and having lots of trouble maintaining temp (300* +) for some reason (foil's long gone) but when all is said and done I've been cooking for nearly 24 hours. I'm sure I've got a pile of ash in there and that's got to be making it tough for the airflow even w/a 10 CFM guru.

Hi All and Happy New Year,

Can you guys recommend a good pellet source ?
I don't live in the US so hickory is not readily available and I would like to try getting some pellets.

Thanks,

L

Lennard visit this thread and get a free sample. I got some bags for Christmas and they sent some bonus bags. That is not including the 3 free one I got first.

Hey Rob, When I want the high temps with the guru, I open a bottom vent or two and let the guru have a little easier time in maintaining the higher temp. I also only have the 4 cfm fan but have no problems with it. Glad all turned out well.

Back