cooking times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb Douglas

Could anyone supply me with cooking times in hours per pound for beef roasts and pork loin roasts in the WSM at 225F? Help appreciated.

Robb, it depends on a number of things the size of the roast the cut of meat.

A pork loin roast I wouldnt necessarily do at 225 in the WSM. There isn't the same fat content in a loin roast as say in a pork shoulder so If I did a pork loin I would be inclined to do it at a higher temprature and(like no water/sand in the pan) and cook it to say 145 and let it sit for 15 -20 before serving (looking for an internal temprature of 150-155 or so for a juicy roast with a tinge of pink)If your one who can't stand to see any pink in pork(or are concerned about the safety of your pork supply) then do it to 160

Its just a guess but I'm thinking tht it would be a pretty short cook. Maybe an hour but I would be checking it frequently with an intsta read for temprature as a probe thermometer may be damaged by the high heat.

On the Beef again it really depends what typoe of beef roast were talking about. Click on the cooking section of the wesite:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.htmland

You may want to look at some of the different choices for different types of roasts and how long they took to get a better idea based on what you want to cook.

Welcome to a great forum!!!! You will find tons of information all over this board and lots of us who are more than willing to throw our 2 cents in.

Robb-FWIW--I did four boneless pork loins 4+ lb. each, which I had brined. Kept temp 240-250 and took them off at 155 degrees after a tad over 3 1/2 hours. Air temp here when I started was 51 degrees and rose during my cook. I used 3/4 Brinkman pan of sand covered with foil.

Did one brined pork loin and one brined turkey breast a while back and I think that it took about 1 1/2 hours that time, but don't hold me to it-- I don't always make notes and my memory seems to be going the way of .....somewhere, I just can't remember where.

Tom

Robb,
Internal temp is far more important than time. For the Pork loin roast for best flavor 155f to 160f is ideal. On a beef roast the cut is all important. A prime rib can be enjoyed rare at 130f while a brisket will break teeth at 130 and needs to go to 195f.

My advice is dig around here for times and internal temps. The cooking time is just a very rough guide. Another good website is http://www.otherwhitemeat.com

~Konrad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back