Cooking Theory

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Low n slow style cooking is all about rendering fat, breaking down collagen, absorbing wood fire flavors...it too is about drying or dehydrating the meat too.

There must be an ideal fat content, water content too. With all the competition, there should be some professional studies that measure residual fat and water. The most obvious variables being cooking time, cooking temp and, finish temp. Does anyone know of such studies?
Shouldn't there be an ideal fat content at finnish and an ideal water content? This seems like some simple studies to do.

We get that figured out then I see two new probes for the Stoker. One to measure temperature, one for the water content and the final one to analyze the fat content.

We'll be smok'n then!

Low n' Slow is not always the Holy Grail. Many newbies get cute and go even lower than 225 and some even lower than 200. Then they get fed up after 20 hours and give up.

You can get a great product cooked at 275f and most meats will take more heat than that. The fat will get rendered, the smoke flavor absorbed and if you get lucky a ribbon or trophy to take home.

The study you seek is called experience and a willingness to experiment. Old Chinese proverb says a wise man learns from his own mistakes and those of others...

From one science-minded guy to another, I hear you. But the traditional, Q minded part of me says leave it alone.
icon_smile.gif
Like the saying goes, are we really better off knowing what causes rainbows?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Low n slow style cooking is all about rendering fat, breaking down collagen, absorbing wood fire flavors...it too is about drying or dehydrating the meat too.

There must be an ideal fat content, water content too. With all the competition, there should be some professional studies that measure residual fat and water. The most obvious variables being cooking time, cooking temp and, finish temp. Does anyone know of such studies?
Shouldn't there be an ideal fat content at finnish and an ideal water content? This seems like some simple studies to do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh. Is bbq'ing an art or a science. The science side of me wants to know if your proposal is do'able. However, most probably agree that it's an art and "it's done when it's done".

Maybe these guys could figure it out.
icon_smile.gif
Web Site

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russell Y:
Ahhh. Is baking an art or a science. The science side of me wants to know if your proposal is doable. However, most probably agree that it's an art and "it's done when it's done".

Maybe these guys could figure it out.
icon_smile.gif
Web Site </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Although I'll match my science credentials with anyone here, I wish I could dispense with my thermometers and tell the temp by putting my hand on the outside of my WSM or kettle, and tell how done the meat is by feel.

If it is too easy, where is the charm? Some of my friends have pellet cookers, but IMHO they take the magic out of 'Q

Back