Cooking Spares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ Hazzon

TVWBB Pro
I never really got an answer from a previous post so I thought I'd ask again. Two racks of spares (untrimmed), 4 pounds each, cooked on top rack for approx 7 hours at 210-225 degrees. Ribs came out too dry for my liking. Does it sound like they were overcooked? I've got zero experience with spares and would like to get it right.

Also, is there a trick to removing the membrane? I found this pretty easy with BB's, but almost broke out the power tools trying to remove it from the spares.

Russ.....

It's been years since I cooked untrimmed spares. Dryness may be due to a too hot , though if it took 7 hours your temps were probably OK. I cook at a grate temp of 225? and TRIMMED spares will take me a good 7 hours including time in the foil.

May also be due to no mopping. With the vast amount of surface area on that big slab of ribs, 7 hours in a cooking environment will dry them out. There is a pretty big difference in thickness throughout that large piece of meat. The thinner parts will get dried out while you try finishing the thickest parts.

I suggest a good steady mopping. If not using foil, I know comp cooks who will spray every half hour.

Foil is another tool that will keep ribs from drying out. Wrap about half way thru the cook, then sauce and throw back on, unwrapped, for the last 30 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
[qb]Also, is there a trick to removing the membrane? I found this pretty easy with BB's, but almost broke out the power tools trying to remove it from the spares. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I just start at the corner furthest from the skirt, and pry up a corner using a butter knife. Then grab it with a piece of paper towel and start pulling up and towards the skirt at the same time-- usually comes off in one piece.

The membrane can sense when you are in a hurry or frustrated. The trick is getting it started.

All right, I confess. It still gives me fits, too.

Russ--
Would be great if someone could come up with something that you could spray on the membrane in advance which would loosen it. (Something to think about.)

My membrane remover starts at the end of the slab (the tips) away from the backbone and loosens the membrane with her fingernails. If that doesn't work, or if you are lacking long nails like I am, she uses a teaspoon to get them started. We never thought of using the paper towel to hold them, as Doug D suggested, but that sounds like it might work and we will be trying that next time.

The reason she does it is because I get frustrated and say bad words.

Seems that some just come off easier than others, and I would love to know why.

Tom

I do the set and forget it. I run the temp about 250 and walk away from it for 6 hours. No mobing or basting at all. Turn out nice and tender. I leave one vent halfway open.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
[qb] I never really got an answer from a previous post so I thought I'd ask again. Two racks of spares (untrimmed), 4 pounds each, cooked on top rack for approx 7 hours at 210-225 degrees. Ribs came out too dry for my liking.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>There's actually such a thing as too low and slow-- and it usually results in dried out meat. Try next time to shoot for 240-250* (at the top grate) for about 5-1/2 hours and see if you don't get better results.

I use a pair of catfish skinning pliers to get hold of the membrane. As it starts to turn loose, I follow along with my finger underneath the membrane, sorta pushing it up from the meat. There is no perfect way I am aware of, but this works best for ME! JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back