Cooking on a Ranch - Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou DeFino

Hey, just picked up a ranch ($300). never used one before. Anyone want to share techniques?

I have a Performer, and use the charcoal baskets a ton. Does anyone use them on a ranch, anyone make bigger baskets for the kettle?

How do you clean out the ash? Do you do this through the vent holes?

How much charcoal do you use? Briquettes or lump?

Please share your experiences.

DO NOT pour a pile of charcoal in the middle and light it with fluid. I never use fluid. But folks who borrowed my Ranch have bought me two new charcoal grates because they did just that.

Low heat = One Weber brand chimney full of Kingsford (love that new competition Kingsford)
I just use a $1.99 coal shovel from the hardware store to bank the charcoal on two sides under the cooking grate doors.
High Heat = 2 weber Chimneys of Kingsford one on each side.
To clean the ash you remove both grates and yes they are heavy.
To keep cooking rotate the charcoal (itself not the grate) and cooking grate to keep the charcoal away from the ash build up.

Two Chimneys one on each side of Kingsford with all vents wide open is about 325f and I'll do a cooking class running like that with great results.

I usually use only one Chimney and get plenty of heat.... I pile it all at the back of the kettle. For all day cooks when I have a party I will dump half a bag on one side and top with one lit chimney. Close 2 of the 3 bottom vents and I can cook all day....brats, burgers, chicken etc. For cleaning I got an old shop vac from a garage sale. cost me 5 bucks. You are a very, very lucky man to happen across a ranch at that price. enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back