Cooking in Colorado

Bill Reinert

Hi Weber lovers,
This is my first time to post on the forum. I've been Qing since the mid '70s after attending Gates rib tech in Kansas City. Mostly I was just playing around and not getting real serious about it. Then I picked up my first stick burner and started refining my method. That led to my 22" WSM in 2010. As first I was chasing temperatures, but with some study and experimentation I've gotten pretty go at it.

I changed out the door with the SS one from Cajun and added plugs for my Reddi Check probes. Now I can keep a 230 +/- fire going for 17 hours with practically no adjustment and about 1/2 a bag of tan Kingsford Competition.

Recently I cooked two identical briskets, one on the WSM and one on a big Traeger. Same temps and both instrumented. If anyone's interested I can post the results.

Here's a tip. 100% grass fed beef isn't worth cooking.

Bill

Welcome Bill! You live in one of my favorite states. Is brisket your favorite to smoke?

Welcome to the forum Bill and of course I would like to know that results of the two different smokers. Just curious that way...lol.......

Welcome to the forum, Bill! It's good to have another Lovelander on here with S. Six, myself, and at least one other fellow whose name escapes me at the moment.

Craig,
Both held temps pretty well. 225 - 240 with the occasional excursion. Traeger needed no adjustment, WSM only one or two slight tweets. Cook time was similar. Traeger had better smoke ring, WSM better flavor.

Total cook was ruined by POS all grass beef, not grain finish. No marbling and they stunk. Lesson learned. Good for comparison cooking but we threw them away.

Hey Chris
Glad to hear from you. We love Loveland after 20 years in SoCal.

I usually get my packers cut at Albertsons, but tried bull&boar on 4th. They were 100% grass fed so the brisket so weren't worth cooking.
B

Back