Cooking half slabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Jones

TVWBB Pro
There's been a lot of talk about using rib racks lately. Are there problems with the ends of the half racks drying out when you do this?
Thanks!

Hi Ed,

I've only done ribs 3 times, once rolled and twice with the Charbroil rib racks someone recommended (I think it was Stogie).

With the racks I cut the ribs in half and didn't experience any dryness at all on the ends.

However, I always wondered how people do whole racks without rolling them. It would seem that the ends of the racks would be outside the diameter of the water pan and subject to much higher heat...

I had the same question some months ago and was assured by the experts it was not a problem. They were right - I guess that's why they're experts. I cut all my slabs in half, mostly spares and have not noticed a problem. I do spray them with AJ. I should reposition them on the grate but I usually don't.

Paul

Ed, I haven't noticed any drying on the rib ends either, however, I have tried the full racks a couple of times and the end ribs were always overcooked due to the heat rising around the edge of the grates. Check out Stogie's site ~ I do mine the same way: Stogie's WSM Page

Ed....

As you have heard....cooking a whole slab will result in burnt ends. No probs with the half slabs. They will also take the same amount of time to cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back