cooking guide

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Is there a standard cooking time for beef,pork & poultry per pound or does a person just wait until the internal temp. has been achieved?

Others with more experience will probably respond, but here are my tips:

Brisket and pork - 2 hours per pound is my guideline, but I start watching for doneness at 1/5 hours per pound. Sometimes those briskets cook a lot faster due to thickness of meat, fat content, etc. To test brisket, a thermometer probe inserted easily into the flat is my method. For Pork, I watch for the bone to get very loose. Actual temps are around 190 for brisket and 195-205 for pork.

For ribs, the meat pulling away from the bone is the primary guage--figure 1/2 inch or so. Time wise, I always allow 6 hours and it usually takes 4-5 for babybacks and 4.5 - 5.5 for st louis spares (trimmed). Also, a toothpick should go easily through the meat. No idea on what temp is.

For chicken it depends on what you are cooking an whether at low temps or at grilling temps. For thighs, at low temps, allow 4 hours and shoot for 165 temp. For grill temps, allow 60-75 minutes, same internal temp.

For breasts, times are similar, but I go for 155-160 internal temp.

Cant help you on whole or half chicken as I don't cook them enough to offer advice.

Hope this helps

Dale

Thanks Dale.
The reason I asked the question is to make sure I give myself enough time for the meat to be done before a given dinner time, so as not to make friends wait that extra hour or so.

It's done when the internal temp is where it needs to be and inserting the probe tells you it is tender. Time is a very rough guide. Even cooking a cake in the kitchen time is only a guide.

The real answer to your question is learning to hold cooked food so it is ready when you are and that point can be flexible. Butt's and brisket are simple wrap in film or foil then a big dry towel and place in a small dry cooler. Chicken & Ribs sauce then as above.

The longer you plan to hold the lower the internal temp you should pull the meat at. Butts & Brisket will hold for 4 to 5 hours and it is safe as long as the internal stays above 140. I would pull 5 to 10 degress below your target temp if going for the full 4 to 5 hours.

Ribs will go less time not least because you are dealing with a smaller mass and because holding will soften the bark and can result in over cooking where the racks will fall apart. I would suggest 1 to 2 hours.

Chicken I feel the quality goes down when you hold it too long. Using plastic film and a towel I've had great results up to an hour. There is a technique that does win where you smoke the chicken the cook it covered in sauce. Makes for a very tender product and you had better like the flavor of your sauce.

IMO the single best meat to hold in a chaffing dish is pulled pork that has been sauced.

HTH,

The following is how it seems to work out for me on a consistent basis.

I mostly cook brisket, and it seems to take 12 to 14 hours, whether I'm doing one ten pounder or two 14 pounders. It depends more on thickness than weight. It's possible for a thick 10 pounder to take longer than a thin twelve pounder. I try to buy thicker ones. Look for one that appears smaller visually, but weighs heavier.

Ribs six (babybacks) to seven (spares) hours. Whole 5# chickens 5 to 6.

Better to be done a little early and keep it warm and enjoy your guests than stress out about making people wait. IMHO.

Thanks Konrad & Rick.
I'm goin to start using the cooking log sheets from now on. Documenting the cook in my WSM will give me a future reference for what ever type of meat I plan to smoke as far as time and internal temperatures.
Thanks again to all you. I really mean it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back