Cooking For Parties

Dean C.

TVWBB Fan
I friend of mine has asked me to do some Q for his 30th birthday party. Does anyone have a system to develop amounts? There is going to be about 35 people there, most of them adults with hearty appetites. I have a rough plan to do 4 pork butts and one 15-20 pound chuck roll along with some chicken, but I haven't figured out how much chicken to do yet. I am going to make beans and he has asked a few of the guests to bring a covered dish. Does this sound like enough, I don't want to run out of food. I have been arguing with myself on wheter to do breast and chop them or pieces (legs and thighs). TIA.

Dean, that sounds like aan awfuly large amount of pork. Think of protions in terms of what you expect the average person to eat. 1 pork shoulder that is aprox 7 lb will yield around 3.5 lb oif meat. With all the other food you mentioned what do you think your crowd will eat of thpork?? maybe 4-6 oz (remember they aare going to have beef and chicken)

I'd cook 2 shoulders 3 at the very most

as to the chicken think again inportions for 35 people, 1 maybe 2 pieces at the outset(thought I think your average is going to be closer to one.

hope you find that helpful.

I smoked 6 pork butts for my daughters baptism last year and had about 35 people with really big appetites and it was more than enough meat and that was the only meat served.

If you want to do the roll, butt and chicken I would cut the pork down to two butts.

That chuck roll alone will almost feed them all. I did 5 butts for a super bowl party of 35 people. I left one at home and gave away 1 for the crowd to take home. And chicken, man invite me just for the leftovers!

Thanks for the comments guys. This cook is kind of unusual because I know these guys and know they will be eating into the wee hours of the morning once into the sauce (not BBQ). I am shooting for some adequate leftovers. Your posts helped me get a feel for others though where I don't know peoples appetites. Thanks.

There's something to be said on presentation as well. If you're serving buffet-style sometimes what you know to be 'enough' just doesn't look like it when on the table. Too, when (what time) you're cooking and how and when you're holding or reheating may or may not have bearing on what you choose to cook.

Personally, I like smoking whole large (4lb+) chickens and cutting them into pieces for serving. That's not always practical; alternatively I'll do leg quarters rather than breasts (more forgiving), and either serve like that or separate leg from thigh for serving.

I'd go with 3 butts.

Beef. A small chuck roll, or half of one, or I'd consider smoking a packer or a few brisket points and making chili with them for the beef dish. Always good with 'sauce'.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dean C.:
I friend of mine has asked me to do some Q for his 30th birthday party. Does anyone have a system to develop amounts? There is going to be about 35 people there, most of them adults with hearty appetites. I have a rough plan to do 4 pork butts and one 15-20 pound chuck roll along with some chicken, but I haven't figured out how much chicken to do yet. I am going to make beans and he has asked a few of the guests to bring a covered dish. Does this sound like enough, I don't want to run out of food. I have been arguing with myself on wheter to do breast and chop them or pieces (legs and thighs). TIA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dean,

I routinely have 20-50 folks at my house on the weekends. I figure that a decent sized pork butt will feed about 8 average folks. A chuck roll doesn't lose as much weight as you'd think. ..and, chicken is chicken.
icon_smile.gif

You have more than enough food for 35 folks, especially if people are bringing sides. If you don't think so, set your oven to low, and start cooking early....put whatever's done in some foil...and keep it warm.

I'd bet that the most I've cooked for a 50 person 'get-together' is probably 3 roasts a chuck roll and as much chicken as I could fit around the sides. I had TONS left over. I still bow to my FoodSaver.
icon_wink.gif

You have to remember that people will eat the sides 'almost' in the same proportion to the meat. If you want to get fancy, cook a mungo pot of mashed potatoes...they'll be full.
icon_smile.gif

I don't know the size of the butts you're cooking but even for the heartiest of appetites, one should feed at LEAST 5. There's 20 folks right there.

Just supply buns and condiments, they'll be wiped out with food.

-brian

YMMV

Also, if you put the Q at the end of the buffet table less will serve more since the plates will be loaded with sides before they get to the meat. Its a theory at least...dont know how true it is.

I usually plan on two 6 lb. butts feeding 25 people (pulled pork sammiches). With sides and a equal mix of men/women, that almost always turns out about right...unless you want leftovers.

P.S. LOL! I just noticed that Dean's also from KC!

For my kid's birthday parties and block parties I always do one brisket packer of 12 to 14 lbs and two pork shoulders and that is for 20 to 25 people plus leftovers for me and "doggie bags" for the guests.

If you're gonna do chicken, consider doing drumsticks. You toss them in rub and smoke for a couple of hours. Then, finish them in the oven, 'til they get to done temperature. You can do them ahead of time, vacuum seal, and reheat easily. I did this several weeks ago for a youth group function and smoked 120 pounds of drumsticks. They were each and every one GONE.

People still are talking about them. Plus, they're only like $.75 a pound or so.

Just a suggestion for you.

Thanks, I was thinking about drumsticks and thighs. I am going to be pre-cooking it all and then foodsaver/freeze until the party. I have four butts on now, three for the event and one for me tonight. I will do the chuck roll next friday, the party is saturday.

You could do leg quarters, usually cheaper than individual legs and thighs, then separate them either before reheating or just before serving. If you go that route bend the quarter so that the joint where the leg meats the thigh breaks. That'll allow more even cooking.

I went to Sam's tonight and bought the drumsticks. (I already had the butts).

By the case, which was 35-40 pounds (I can't remember), they were only like 70 cents a pound. What a dealio.

Back