cooking chicken halves

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Having trouble getting the dark meat and the breast meat done at the same time. Usually, when the breast is at 165 the thigh/leg is at least 10 degrees lower. I'm concerned about drying out the breast while the dark meat comes to temp. Cooking top rack with an empty water pan using lump charcoal. Any suggestions?

I haven't had that problem, but I use a different method, low/slow with water in pan for 4-5 hours. Chix stays moist. Here are some thoughts. Arrange the halves so the dark meat areas are closer to the edge of the cooker where the temp may be a little higher. Brine the halves so the white meat will retain more moisture even when taken a little higher than optimum temp. If you use the first method and load the grate, you'll need to reposition the halves during the cook.

Paul

I'd recommend a combination of Paul's suggestions: brining and positioning the breasts toward the center. If doing a high-heat cook (WSM or kettle) you can slow the breasts a bit by basting the breasts only with a baste that is essentially water-based (doing it quickly with the lid raised just enough to get in there retains heat but I don't worry about that too much). The other alternative and the one I use most: cut the chicken up into breast halves and leg quarters. This allows you to either start the breasts later or pull them sooner (I prefer the latter) and not mess with basting at all. I always brine though.

Thanks for the feedback. Are you suggesting I just brine the breast portion of the halves?
Also, I like to cook in an aluminum pan for basting and retaining moistness. Do you all cook directly on the grill?

I try to have the time for low and slow, at least 4 hours but have grilled many chickens cut into pieces and halves as well. White meat does cook different than dark meat and I don't have a good suggestion for that other than what has been said here and I have done both ways talked about and the brine does help on the white meat.

Or better yet take the time and leave the ckicken whole and smoke beer can style low and slow, That's the best in my opinion.

Randy

David--

A pan won't retain moisture. A pan can buffer the heat, slowing evaporation or, if you cook immersed partially or fully in sauce, slow down evaporation.

Hard to brine whole or halved chickens partially. It's possible to brine just breasts if you cut the chicken up. Brining will give you a little more margin at the finish. It won't slow the cooking down so that the breasts finish at the same time as the thighs.

I cook direct on the grill (high heat, no pan if using the WSM; high heat indirect if using the kettle) because I prefer chicken cooked quickly and prefer crisp skin (I cut the chicken in pieces and pull the breasts when they're done, as noted above, or cook all dark meat pieces or all breasts). You might consider Paul's and Randy's suggestion to low/slow your chicken and see what you think. Many people like that approach and will brine, flavor-brine or marinate ahead of time for added flavor.

I have thought about cooking without a pan and need to give that a try. Have had some recent success in competition with the pan in Texas where they require you to cook 2 fully-connected chicken halves.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I haven't had that problem, but I use a different method, low/slow with water in pan for 4-5 hours. Chix stays moist.
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!! I know this has been discussed in the past, but as of late it seems like the group-think has made cooking low and slow chicken unheard of. I like Paul, use this method for smoked chicken. Until today I was starting to think that I was the only one who would still rather use this method.

So thanks Paul for confirming that I'm not crazy
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Josh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:... cooking low and slow chicken ... Until today I was starting to think that I was the only one who would still rather use this method. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Josh

You aren't the only one ... there are two of us !
icon_smile.gif

I like it that way because it stays very moist and juicy. True, the skin is not crisp, but even on a higher heat, indirect cook, I've never found the skin really crisp. I discard the skin to reduce the fat intake but others in my family don't and never seem to complain about it.

To each his own.

Paul

There are far more than two of you I'm sure! Though there's been discussion of skin, high heat, and waterpan-less cooks I'd venture that you guys are in the majority or at least a more than significant minority among non-comp cooks. Probably better than 75% of the comp cooks I know prefer lower and slower for chicken. You're far from alone.

I prefer to cook my chicken halves low&slow, too. I marinate in a bit of itialian dressing for a few days and put lemon pepper on 'em...put 'em in there for about 5 for 6 hours (sounds a little long, I know)...I eat skin and all. Yum.

Jeff

I solved that problem by doing legs/thigh only cooks, or breast only cooks lol.
I also like to slow cook whole chicken. No real skin eaters in my house. Even when just doing legs/thighs, I cook with skin on, then pull the skin off when time to sauce.

Back