Cooking Chicken drumsticks or legs slow, question!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I am a new owner of a WSM. Actually, it’s still in the mail on the way here.
What I want to do is marinate the legs in Italian dressing for like 24 hrs, then slow cook them at about 250. That seems like the best temp to get a nice smokey taste.
We don't eat the skin, so I am not worried about that, but I was wondering how long you think it will take?
Also, should I use the water pan full of water?
I am planning on a full stack of Kingsford with three chunks of mesquite wood... perhaps a bit of apple.
Any tips, tricks, or advice on what to do are appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Steve

I do butterflied halves low/slow and like the taste the technique seems to impart. To go low/slow around 250, you'll need to use water in your pan. Be careful not to use too much smokewood because chix can take it up quickly. I would say 2 chunks, maybe pecan, apple or cherry. Hickory would also be ok. You probably looking at around 2 hours, but the best gauge would be with an instant digital therm shooting for 170.

For firning up, review this link. I probably would use the standard method but Minion would certainly work fine. To me, that would involve a lot of fuel for such a short cook, but many recyle their briqs.

Enjoy your cook. I'm sure you'll love your WSM. Also, welcome to the board !

Paul

This afternoon I did two BCC cchickens and three turkey drumsticks in my Chargriller...low and slow--225°. Used charcoal in the side fire box.

I brined overnight with a 16:1 brine using equal amount of brown sugar and some chili powder, cumin, basil, sage, garlic powder, and black pepper.

I really poured the smoke to the meat--two foil baggies of pellets and four chunks of wood, one hickory and three apple.

I like smoked meat...especially chicken/poultry which doesn't have much flavour, in my opinion, on its own.

Took about three hours. And turned out fantastic. Smokey, moist, and tender. I've done this three times now and will never go back to fast BCC's.

On the other hand, I am now doing all my butts and chuck roasts fast...at 325°-350°...in the WSM. Couldn't ask for a better tasting, jucier result.

Go figure...

Steve,

I would use water in the pan and you can probably get away with 1 full chimney of kingsford. I would plan on 2-3hours and I would take them to 180 for the legs. And under no circumstances would I use Mesquite. I would use Hickory or Apple and very little of it.

I appreciate the information everyone. I will let you know how everything turns out and what I used.
Interesting about the wood types; I will have to search for something on what types of wood goes with the different types of meat.
Luckily I have a whole bag of apple so I am good to go.
Thanks again!
Steve

Back