Cooking BRITU & Serving 2 Hours Later - Any Suggestions?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Our clinic is having a gathering next Friday night and one of my buddies challenged me to a rib cook-off and let the guest decide who has the best ribs. It is at his house and he is actually the one that peaked my interest in cooking ribs because his ribs were so good. In fact, they were the best ribs that I have ever had until I found this forum (that says a lot because we are in Memphis & I love ribs), bought a WSM, and cooked the BRITU. I feel like I have a chance to knock him off of his throne. I am concerned that since I will be cooking them at my house, bringing them to his house, and ultimately serving them about 2 hours from taking them off of the grill that they will not be as good.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to handle this? Normally I take them directly off the WSM, slap on the sauce, and sit down and eat. Should I wrap them in foil and put the sauce on just before we eat or will it make a difference? I know this seems minor but I do not want any problems on that day and want to leave no stone left unturned. This forum gets all the credit when it comes to the ribs. I appreciate any advice.

Chris

When your done cooing, glaze and then wrap in plastic wrap and foil. Place them in a small dry cooler and leave them in it till your ready to slice and serve. They will continue to tenderize while they are being held like this so you need to take that into consideration. You may glaze and wrap just a little earlier than you would if you were going to serve them at home.
Jim

Two ideas.

One, can you bring your WSM over there and do 'em at his place?

Two, will he let you warm 'em up on his grill? You could cook them at your place, rest them as Jim said, and then tighten 'em up with a quick baste with sauce and a quick sear on his grill.

To add to Susan's points

1)
If he's not using a WSM you can sit back drinking beers, and occasionally adjusting a vent while he slaves away.

2)
That should give your ribs a chance to tender up without overcooking 'em

morgan

Jim is right about this (of course). Wrapped and put into a small cooler they should easily still be good and warm after two hours. The more meat, the longer it will hold the heat.

I just wrap mine in foil, adding the plastic wrap is probably a good idea though.

Also,if it is hot and sunny outside, put your cooler (opened) out in the sun and let it absorb some of that free heat. It's just like pre-warming a thermal coffee cup with hot water.

Thank you guys for all of the responses. I am excited about the cookoff and will let you guys know how things turn out next weekend.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back