Cooking brisket and butt 1 week ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
So I know there are several discussions on reheating, but none seem to quite cover me.
I'm cooking 2 briskets and 4 Mr. Brown butts the weekend ahead for the 4th of July. Still haven't gotten a final count on people. My thoughts were to foodsaver, freeze them whole, then rewarm slice and pull. Minimum I will want 1 brisket and 2 butts. Will that be the best way to keep fresh and less dried out? Obviously the other option would be to pull and slice then freeze....and just reheat what I need. Just want to keep from drying out, and retain the best bark expecially on Mr. Brown.

I would go ahead and pull the butts and use your foodsaver. To reheat the entire butt is a little tricky and you might dry it out. Also, you can do a better job of pulling when it's fresh.

I'll let someone else answer on the brisket, but my thought would be to slice, freeze and then reheat with some amount of liquid. Maybe reheating the FS bag in boiling water would be the way to go. I imagine there's an even bigger problem with a brisket drying out.

Paul

I agree with Paul. I have had great success reheating with a little chicken stock or apple juice (or both) added to remoisten the meat.

Just a little though. And don't worry, it works great!

Good Luck!

That does sound easier. I have reheated brisket whole and then sliced but it did take some time. I have a large stock pot for beer brewing that would work great for the boiling water method, for a large quantity. Then the plan would be to serve in chafing dishes....spray the brisket with beef broth first, and spray the butt with apple juice, with maybe some extra rub....sound good? I think I also read where some actually leave a thin layer of beef broth in the chafing dish, with the brisket?????
.....doing it this way can I still refreeze the leftovers if there are any....

Once you slice brisket it dries out, I would add some beef stock and freeze. Then reheat slowly and slice at that point.
Jim

Jim is so right. Brisket starts to dry out as soon as it's sliced. Once it's sliced you can see it start to dry out right in front of your eyes. As soon as i cut mine i shovel it in right away, (can't leave it sit on the plate for too long.) Dry meat = Bad Eats. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back