Cooking area dilemna

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all, I am about a month away from ordering my WSM. I have to wait cuz the wife grounded me and says I have to lose weight first. That's awful funny since I'll probably put it right back on /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ! It seems to me that the WSM is one of the best out there, but the only thing that could disuade me is the actual grill area. I love spares and I remember fighting with space on the cheap Brinkman model that we bought at Walmart. I tried a rib rack, but it seemed like the meat just rested on themselves and didn't really allow for even cooking or a good bark. Is it possible to get two or three large spares on one top grate? Should I skewer them? What's the best way? Thanks!

I use a Weber rib rack and can get two racks on without a problem. They need to be cut in half and placed in the rack. A third rack can be done by resting it on the front and back of the rack. Yet another rack can be cooked by resting it on top of ribs already in the rack. You'll lose some bark where the ribs touch, but it's do-able!

Skewering spares is a little more difficult than baby backs. The spare racks just aren't as flexible.

Darrell,

Start Atkins - you need the WSM to prepare all the meat on that diet. In fact, I can't believe your wife is denying your good health by NOT letting you have a WSM for your new diet. That's how I'd sell it! Otherwise, get a juicer, I hear they make tasty veggie shakes (sarcasm). Good Luck!!!

Darrell--Search on the Beginners Forum for "charbroil rib rack". I wish I'd found that before I plucked down the money for the Weber rib racks. I now have the Charbroil ones and am trying to figure out what to do with the Weber ones.

Tom

"Season to your taste--and may it be a public one."

Darrell
I have been on the South beach diet for about 7 weeks and lost 37 pounds. I have a large number of cookers, the food I produce is part of the diet.
I did have to give up somethings I like, like potatoes, bread, pasta and rice.
Wife needs to come up with better reason than that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim

Hey Kevin - that grill cart is currently at Tuesday Morning for $30. I considered it but passed. I take it you think these are a good idea? I might re-consider...

Darrel - don't let the small cooking area kill the purchase. This thing is fantastic and I wish I'd have bought one years ago.

Jason....

Yeah I think it's pretty nice....especially for that price! One drawback is the fact it is plastic. I once placed a hot grate on without any newspaper underneath and of course it melted slightly.

It gives me much more working area than my Dutch Oven cooking table. I use all the extra space as storage for my BBQ gear...gloves, rib racks, starter cubes, etc. The fold out garbage bag holder is another great feature.

Kevin,
Is there a brand-name on that cart, it looks like it would be a great companion to my new WSM.

(Should be here 3-31!...looks like we're having ribs next weekend!)

Thank you all for your help! Looks like I'll be doing Atkins/South Beach to please the wife /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . She's agreeable after a lengthy discussion in which I said she could go to a spa this weekend. Looks like I'll be getting my WSM in the next two weeks. Stogie, those are great pictures of your ribs! Are those BRITU? Also, I noticed that your spares are laying on each other. Do you rotate to cook evenly or can the rack take the spares vertically as your middle picture shows? Thanks again.

Bubba Q (Darrell Jones)

Chad.....

It is called Backyard Gear, but I have never found a web site. I noticed Wally World had some, but they were like $80 this time of year. I think Jason found the best deal.

They also make one with a water faucet and sink built in. Much more expensive and you obviously need a hose to attach to it.

Darrell.....

No, I am not a big fan of the BRITU, but that's only me! Yes...I do rotate the ribs. The top layer and outer most will cook the best/fastest, so I interchange those with the middle of the racked ones. Now, I only do this after the first 2 hours. I then mop and rotate. Once I foil them, I take out the rib racks and pile on top of each other. After taking back out of the foil, I will sauce and lay them flat and slightly overlap...I then just kind of rotate them as I see fit.

Sounds like a lot of work, but after doing it so many times I don't even realize it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darrell J:
[qb] Hello all, I am about a month away from ordering my WSM. I have to wait cuz the wife grounded me and says I have to lose weight first. That's awful funny since I'll probably put it right back on /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ! It seems to me that the WSM is one of the best out there, but the only thing that could disuade me is the actual grill area. I love spares and I remember fighting with space on the cheap Brinkman model that we bought at Walmart. I tried a rib rack, but it seemed like the meat just rested on themselves and didn't really allow for even cooking or a good bark. Is it possible to get two or three large spares on one top grate? Should I skewer them? What's the best way? Thanks! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I think you can only fit two large slabs of spares when you lie them flat on the top grate. That's probably the best way to ensure the best smoke exposure and bark creation.

Search the site for rolled ribs. By rolling them, I could fit four slabs on each grate: 8 slabs. By cutting each slab in half and using the CharBroil rib racks, I was able to stack 9, half slabs on the bottom rack and 11, half slabs on the top: 10 slabs. When you do this, there will be some parts of meat that touch and won't get exposed to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back