Cooking a butt for slicing

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Hey,
Any advice for slicing a butt. I know to take it to a lower temp, ~175°, but what about the actual method of slicing? Is there an approach that works better than another?

I'm cooking two 7 lbers for pulling, but I'm throwing a 5 lber on to try slicing.

Should I put all three on together, and just plan on taking the small one off and holding it longer, or should I put the small one on later?

Joey Mac

Joey--

I've--I think--always put them on at the same time in a similar situation. Been a while, but I can't remember putting the small one on later, if I have. Perhaps someone else sees an advantage there. I just pull at 175.

I do not rest forever though on butts for slicing. An hour, tops. I separate the muscles that seem to want to and slice very thinly. I wish I could tell you that I've compared this approach to others and here's why I do it this way, etc. Haven't. Mostly I do fresh hams for slicing.

If you cook the butts to the pulled pork stage, I can't see you really being able to slice them. I know I've sliced some that I didn't cook completely -- great taste but didn't have that same mouth feel. Slicing (thinly!) was a better choice than trying to pull something that still wanted to stay together.

Back