cooking a brisket flat

John Sampson

TVWBB Member
i wanted to cook a brisket for the first time, but i bought a flat instead of a whole brisket, i put the rub on last night and planned on cooking it today. any tips would be helpful. thanks

I just cooked my first brisket yesterday so I don't know how much help I am. I just read the brisket section under cooking and a couple of post under the forum. I went with the high temp brisket that cooks in about 4 hours. I cooked to 173 then foiled it till it hit about 198 which was when it was tender. It tasted great

John,

If you want to eat your brisket sliced, I would pull it off at about 185 - 188 degrees. If you take it to the mid 190's, it will fall apart and won't slice well. Still very delicious though! Make sure to let the brisket rest in the foil for an hour or so after you pull it off your smoker to let the juices settle back into the meat. If you don't, all the juice will just run out when you start slicing.

If doing a high heat cook internal temps do not necessarily correspond to what we know when we do low heat cooks. Time @ temp is the key. In other words Woody's 198 reading does not necessarily correlate with a pot roast-y finish because the time to get there was much quicker. On a slow climb to 198, however, the texture would indeed be affected.

I don't bother temping on high heat cooks. Well, I leave the therm in after foiling and when it hits the upper 180s-190 I check the brisket the first time (it's more of a reminder to do so). Then I pull the therm and cook for whatever additional time I think it needs. Tender by feel works best for high heat briskets. See here for additional info.

John
If you are going to be doing a high temp cook 300 to 325 is the target, 3 hours in smoke then into foil for aprox 3 hours but internal temp and feel is your guide. Rest in a dry cooler for 2 to 4 hours is needed to finish the cook.
Jim

Back