Cooking 2 pork butts this week Rotation?

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
I need to cook two prok butts this week and I am not sure what to expect since I only have done one on the top rack in the past.

1. Do I need to rotate the pork at some point from bottom rack to top?

2. Should I still expect a 16 hr cook for both?

Thanks

Rule of thumb is no rotation (if using water in pan). Top one might finish sooner, let your thermometer be your guide!

Is it me or are there alot of Illinois TVWBB members out there? Maybe becuase we are home to Weber? Who knows.

Q-on!!

AR

If they will both fit on the top do that... and put a brisket on the bottom. If they are too big put the larger one on top and the smaller directly under it (on trhe bottom) so that the big one will baste the little one.

I would budget at least 16 hours for them ... they should finish about the same time because it is slightly hotter on top but that is where the larger "hunk of love" is...

Have fun! Go minion!

Ric, I did two butts this weekend. They both squeezed in to the top grate. They shrunk eventually. Took about 17-18 hours. I did an overnight and it turned out a lot easier than I had built it up to be. The WSM held steady the whole way.Needed to add some lit at about the 14 hour mark. What a great unit!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
I need to cook two prok butts this week and I am not sure what to expect since I only have done one on the top rack in the past.

1. Do I need to rotate the pork at some point from bottom rack to top?

2. Should I still expect a 16 hr cook for both?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rotate? No. Hell, I don't even open the top to check the meat temps until around 12-13 hours have passed.

Back