cookin' in garage

• Thread starter Thread starter Chris O
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris O

I have a detached garage that sits behind my house. Is there any problem with putting the webber in the garage (with the door open of course)? With the wind here, it sure helps me control temp.

Chris,
If you do not mind smoking up the ceiling a little I do not see any problem. My patio is covered and open on two sides and I always set up my WSM just under the cover near the edge. I have done this for several years and there is just a little discoloration on the ceiling.

John

I'm of the better safe than sorry camp. I'd advise against. If heaven forbid you had an accidental fire it might negate your homeowners insurance. Just my two cents.

DWL

Chris,
I do this when it is very windy and blowing from behind or sides of my garage. I put it right at the edge so I can pull it out when I am done to let coals go out. I will add though that I do not leave the unit unattended when I cook this way.

The last few overnighters (including one this past weekend) I've done have been in the garage with the door closed. I open a window to let some fresh air in. I do this because of the cold or threat of rain (which was the case last Sat. night).

My garage is actually a two-car garage with only one car in it plus the lawn-mower, work bench, gasser, ect. so I have enough room to do this. I make sure there is nothing within three feet of the cooker. When I get up to check on it, I open the garage door to let the smoke clear (It gets really smokey in there with the wood chunks) and I don't have to worry about critters, wind, ect. Normally, I prefer to do it outside but it works for me.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I keep my WSM in the garage all winter long. I do cooks with it near the open garage door. the garage faces south so it makes an excellent wind block for the prevailing N/NW winds.

Just use your common sense and keep a safe area around the cooker, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back