Cook Times

Keith Wilson

TVWBB Fan
Hi guys. BBQ rookie question here. I have always had great results w/ my WSM. That said, I'm not realizing the cook times some of you (or most recipes) are. For example; Last week I did 10#'s of spares in 4 hrs @ avg lid temps ranging between 230*-250*. I thought it should have been 5-6 hrs. This weekend I did 2 whole chickens (4.5#'s each) at an avg lid temp of 250*-270*. (I had 170 on the thighs and about 155 on the breasts when I pulled them to rest) They took 2.75 hrs. I thought it would be about 4-5 hrs. I did one on the grate and one on a Poultry roaster. I should tell you I use Lump (WGC WWB) and a clay saucer. On these past 2 cooks I put the meat in as I set up the WSM. In other words I didn't let the meat get to (or close too) room temp. Any thoughts?

I also use the flower pot base and my temps at the top grate are about 20-30 degrees hotter than temps measured at the lid with this thermometer. I've tested all thermometers and believe them to be accurate. Try testing at the lid and at the grate to see how your temps compare. My guess is you are running hotter than you think.

Funny you should say that David. Here is another area where I'm not "like the rest". On that sparerib cook. My temps averaged like this (I have the BBQ Guru eyelets on each grate with a thermometer in each one); Lid= 235, Top Grate= 229.5, Bottom Grate= 238. These are average temps but I mainly find my bottom grate pretty close to the lid temp on average (after using the saucer). I have checked my thermometers. Although they are not accurate, I know how much to adjust for each one to be accurate. This isn't necessarily a bad thing (shorter cook times) it's just that I'm working toward doing Butts eventually and I don't want to set the thing for an overnight and find out its done quicker than I expected. I'd also like to find out why my cook times seem to be quicker.

More of a question than an answer here, Keith.

Are your meats "enhanced?" Not really sure if enhanced meats cook faster or not, but I can see how they might. Anyone else have experience with this?

JimT

Back