cook time for shoulder pork chops?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

Want to make the East L.A. Pork Tacos from Smoke & Spice, know their cook times aren't reliable. Any idea how long it'll take to smoke the pork shoulder chops? They're about 1 or 1-1/2 inch thick.

Thanks!

--Tom

I'm cooking some of these today as well, different recipe, though. (I think we are talking about the same thing, pork country style ribs, cut from the shoulder?) My plan was to take them up to an internal temp of 190, but I don't really know how long that will be. I'm guessing somewhere around 5-7 hours.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, Jason. My wife said they cut up the pork shoulder into 1-inch thick slabs. Definitely look more like chops than like ribs. (I thought country style ribs came from the blade ends of the pork loin, not the shoulder?)

Did the cook this morning. It took 25 minutes to get the loaded WSM to 200, and 3 hours after that for the meat to reach 183 F. Cooked at 215 F most of the time, but bumped up to 260 F for the last hour to get past the plateau.

Decent flavor, but didn't pull very well. Guess I should have let the meat hit 190 F. It was kind of dry and a little tough, I guess I should have mopped (recipe made it sound optional).

--Tom

Hi,

Just for the record, now that I've read a comment from Jim Minion in another thread, I think I actually overcooked the chops. They'd really shrivelled up, and there didn't seem to be any fat left. Guess it's a little dangerous to rely on a single-location temperature measurement for a 1" thick piece of meat.

--Tom

Ya Tom, grilling over high heat then indirect for a short time probably was the way to go. Around here they call those pork steaks. Then again if we never make mistakes we never learn a thing. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I ended up not BBQ'ing these like I had planned. I felt like crap around noon on Saturday (overdid it on my workout a bit) and didn't feel like starting up the fire at the time that it needed to start. I did these in the oven with a recipe we have used and enjoyed before.

Oh well, next weekend...

Hi,

Thanks for the replies! Not sure I'll bother with this recipe again, BBQ seems to work better on the thicker cuts of meat. If I *do* bother, I'll do it on the kettle grill following Mike's advice.

--Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back