Cook by combined weight?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've had my WSM for about 2 months now, and I love it! I've made the best baby backs ever, a darn good pulled pork, and a respectable first try at brisket. This Fri. I'm smoking two pork butts, and my question seems obvious, but I still need to ask you guys. Do I add the combined weights of the butts and base cooking time on that (e.g. 10 lbs. total weight), or do I plan to cook only as much time as the larger one takes? Please help, as I'm cooking for a fairly large crowd and don't want to bomb out. Thanks.

Gig 'em,

David

David,
You don't have to add combined weights.
For example, if you are cooking 2 5# butts, it won't take the same amount of time as a 10# butt.
The time should be close to the same as a 5# butt, maybe a little longer.
Of course, one can't always go by cooking time alone. Cooking times can sometimes can vary quite a bit for different pieces of the same cut of meat. The internal temp is the key. But I'm sure you knew that. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Jim

Jim:

Thanks for your reply. I had a feeling that was the right answer. I'll let y'all know how they turn out. I'm using the 'Renowned Mr. Brown' recipe again - loved it the first time!

Thanks again,

David

They should take about the same amount of time as just doing 1 5lb one. You probably will notice that they will take slightly longer due to the fact that you have more cool meat to absorb the heat. Also, you may notice a larger drop in temp when you put them on because of more cold surface area on the meat. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back