Contemplating a Stoker – Questions

IT'S ALIVE!!!

I hooked everything up, fired up the Stoker and Stokerlog and it is running on the lap top! I put one food sensor in a cup of ice water and another in a pan of water on the stove and turned it on, watched both temps adjust on the StokerLog. Nice to know, water boils at exactly 212 at my elevation. I adjusted the grill sensor above and below the air temp. and could hear the fan kick in and out. Couldn’t hear the alarms until I remembered my speakers don’t work so hooked up the Bose earphones and heard the dinging. Did I hear someone say that you could have a song for an alarm, like “Burning Ring of Fire” for an out of control fire temp?

I need to figure out how to name my sensors and identify which line is which on the graph. “Fire” shows a red line but the other three sensors appear to all be black lines, or is that just my eyesight? Guess I may just have to read the manual?

I’m grilling New Yorks tonight but tomorrow I’ll go down to Costo and get some spares and hook everything up to the WSM and sit back and relax.

Toys are FREEKIN’ NEAT!

Thank you John (Rock), Amir and the rest of y’all for your encouragement and suggestions. If I can do this, ANYONE can!

I’m growing a sourdough starter and will bake some sourdough bread on the WSM when the starter is ready to use. I should be able to keep a steady 400º temp. for the bake. That should be fun.

Chuck

Congrats! I think stuff sounds harder than it really is.

And yes, you can rename any probe by just typing its name in the box, hit the tab button and then click the button that lights up saying update stoker (all in stokerlog).

The graph colors can be changed also but the default is supposed to be decent
icon_smile.gif

You can also put in the MP3/WMA file of your choice for any of the events from "food ready" to fire pit going out of control (or fire dying).

Few products have made me smile with satisfaction as this product has.

Congratulations Chuck! As Amir said, hooking it up is easier than it sounds... Good luck on your spares and bread. I would be interested in the sourdough bread experiment. I would be particularly interested to hear if the Stoker can keep the temp at 400 (I haven't tried a Stoker cook that high.) Once you get the hang of using it, you will be amazed how steady you can keep the temp in the smoker.

"Few products have made me smile with satisfaction as this product has." Amir, this quote says it all for me, man. I really appreciate what you and John have done to bring the WSM into the technology age! The Stoker with StokerLog is a wonderful pair of tools for any bbq'er. The Stoker has done more to improve my sleeping pattern during a cook than anything! And the food is perfectly prepared also... both make me smile every time I use the Stoker.

Tom, the Stoker will hold you at about any temp you want.

I like to do pizzas in my smoker at 425.
IMG_0887.jpg

For fun, I cooled the smoker down to 350 and did a batch of these.
IMG_0889.jpg

Steve,

It looks like you cooked the Pizza on the wire and the cookies on a pizza stone? Did you make the wire grills or can you buy them? Do you make your own crust or is it store bought? Sure looks good!

Chuck - I bought the wire racks at WalMart. They sell round ones and rectangular ones. They are intended to be disposable, but since they wash up fine in the dishwasher, we just reuse them. The cookies were cooked on the rectangular wire rack, that's my wood pizza peel that you see under it -- that's what I use to pull out the wire racks from the smoker.

The crust are pre-made -- we just add our own toppings. As you might be able to see, half of that pizza has lots of meat and cheese (for me) and the other half has lots of veggies (for the wife). We make bbq pizzas a lot -- we use bbq sauce instead of tomato sauce and we use some of the pulled pork or chicken after a competition (always trying to find new things to do with the leftovers after a competition).

Back