Considering a superautomatic

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
I've found these superautomatic espresso/coffee machines fascinating ever since I frequented our group's HQ in Erbenheim, Germany when I was working. Espresso, double shots, cappuccino if desired...all with the press of a button. That one in our office was a commercial machine with a direct water supply, inline filter, etc...
A few years ago, Tchibo, a German coffee company, came out with a residential market version.

Limited-time deal: Tchibo Single Serve Coffee Maker - Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine - Built-in Grinder, No Coffee Pods Needed - Comes with 2 x 17.6 Ounce Bags of Whole Beans https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZTJQQTT?tag=tvwb-20
It goes on sale frequently for $300.
In researching further, I found this from Whole Latte Love:

It is $300 for a refurbished and the reviews for the refurbished ones are excellent overall. They are $450 new.

This would sit on the counter of our beach house kitchen where we have a bit of counter space.

I know these machines do not like oily beans so I'd be getting coffee from somewhere besides Costco...although I think the Mayorga Cubano roast Costco carries could be just fine but we're close to several places I can get whole bean coffee from so that's not a concern.

I just installed two new faucets in our master bath...surely that's worth a superautomatic espresso machine, right?? I mean a plumber would have charged $400 or more right?😉

I did not see a video yet on the Gaggia, the Tchibo video was pretty interesting. I have to wonder with all these machines though is how hard are they to fully clean, and how often is that needed?

I did not see a video yet on the Gaggia, the Tchibo video was pretty interesting. I have to wonder with all these machines though is how hard are they to fully clean, and how often is that needed?
From what I've read, you need to rinse the brew head thoroughly a few times a week depending upon use. You also need to descale every 3-4 months depending on water hardness but I'd probably use these type filters in it:
AQUACREST TÜV SÜD Certified Coffee Water Filter, Replacement for Brita® Intenza® Water Filter Gaggia®, Philips®, Saeco®, CA6702/00, Intenza® Coffee Filter (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BBRN624?tag=tvwb-20

This thing would see some use but certainly not heavy or frequent use.
I also think you need to wipe the inside with a paper towel when you pull the brew head, empty and rinse the spent puck drawer and the catch tray probably 1-2 times per week.

First: yes, two new faucet installs merit a super reward.

Those prices are much better than my Philips 5400. I transitioned to the Philips from a Rancilio Silvia because it simply became too time consuming, especially when making a milk-based drink. My only comment about the two units you linked vs the Philips is that you need to manually froth or steam your milk, if you use milk. For my preference, that's significant but it might not be so for you.

You can read owner's manuals ahead of a purchase to learn about maintenance and cleaning. I need to clean the group head rather frequently and lubricate it periodically.

Good luck!

First: yes, two new faucet installs merit a super reward.

Those prices are much better than my Philips 5400. I transitioned to the Philips from a Rancilio Silvia because it simply became too time consuming, especially when making a milk-based drink. My only comment about the two units you linked vs the Philips is that you need to manually froth or steam your milk, if you use milk. For my preference, that's significant but it might not be so for you.

You can read owner's manuals ahead of a purchase to learn about maintenance and cleaning. I need to clean the group head rather frequently and lubricate it periodically.

Good luck!
OK...I just ordered it. Whole Latte Love has it in silver on their website for $350 but it's $300 for the silver on their eBay outlet store and that's where I ordered it from.
The milk-based drinks are secondary for us. What gets lubrication on these things and with what, synthetic silicone grease?

I installed a filter system in my basement (replacing the RO system) for my drinking and coffee water. On the new system it's 3 stage and I replaced one of the stages with a carbon block filter certified for all lead and heavy metals plus other chemicals. Gives out some REALLY good water, and I kept the RO fed into the freezer for my nice crystal clear ice
So this is the 3 stage I installed https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...p-1501223587675-c-1535732895503.htm?exp=false and then installed this cartridge in place of one of the 3 https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...p-1501223587610-c-1535732895503.htm?exp=false

Last edited:
Got a text confirmation and an email from Whole Latte Love stating delivery next week...4/23-4/26. I ordered filters from Amazon as the water at the beach house is rated at moderately hard.
Now to find some beans to my liking. Got some double wall especially glasses we've never used as well as a steaming pitcher.
This should prove an interesting venture.

I'm not close to a coffee expert and I can't say I've experimented with a huge variety of beans but I use these. They "look" and "feel" less oily than others I tried:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SDKDM4/?tag=tvwb-20

View attachment 89545
I see they carry that and also a pretty large selection of whole bean coffee at the Wegmans up the road from us. Also, The Fresh Market has a very big selection but a lot of it is bulk in barrels and that's never good as it tends to be style or close to it. Wegmans will be a good source.

I've been staying out of the coffee discussions in general as I find it is one of those things that people just need to discover on their own, but when I see people ready to get into super-auto's, I comment. I've been into espresso and coffee (both at home and professionally) a long, long time and watched both the home and commercial espresso industry grow up from being almost non-existent to what it is today. I am a long-term regular at probably two of the oldest and most respected coffee forums on the net - coffeegeek.com and home-barista.com In all those years, there has virtually NEVER been a single person that has ever been happy with their purchase of a super-auto espresso machine. I'll just leave it at that... I strongly recommend you go to a dedicated coffee forum for more research before spending a lot of your hard earned cash.

In all those years, there has virtually NEVER been a single person that has ever been happy with their purchase of a super-auto espresso machine. I'll just leave it at that... I strongly recommend you go to a dedicated coffee forum for more research before spending a lot of your hard earned cash.
Your post is respectful and has merit. But I also wonder if the folks who invest time on those serious coffee sites is an indicator that they have higher levels of expectations and demand more, either in their drink quality or production methods. If that is so, then it's also possible there are a big chunk of others who are well-pleased with a superautomatic.

My Silvia (and related equipment/accessories) is tucked away and I've been enjoying my automatic.

There is so much information out there (YouTube, coffee forums etc) that all I can say is research, research, research...

I've been staying out of the coffee discussions in general as I find it is one of those things that people just need to discover on their own, but when I see people ready to get into super-auto's, I comment. I've been into espresso and coffee (both at home and professionally) a long, long time and watched both the home and commercial espresso industry grow up from being almost non-existent to what it is today. I am a long-term regular at probably two of the oldest and most respected coffee forums on the net - coffeegeek.com and home-barista.com In all those years, there has virtually NEVER been a single person that has ever been happy with their purchase of a super-auto espresso machine. I'll just leave it at that... I strongly recommend you go to a dedicated coffee forum for more research before spending a lot of your hard earned cash.
You must be using a different Internet than me...and several million others, because I've read dozens of posts and reviews from folks that absolutely love their superautomatic machines. Dozens that swear by the same model I ordered alone...not to mention the more costly ones.
Doesn't add up that it's a multi billion dollar industry but not one person is happy with their purchase. I've read posts and reviews on those same forums you mentioned that directly contradict your assertion.
Perhaps they're not for you, in which case I suggest you don't buy one.

There are many different tastes and needs when it comes to making coffee, or grilling, smoking what have you. There are no right or wrongs. Just different and best for someone's needs. I'm sure there are those aficionados who are likely screaming into their cups as to how I could allow machines as mundane as my little Casabrews or my KitchenAid brewers. But honestly they suit my needs and IMO do a very respectable job.
Or the ones who look down their noses at things like pellet grills, especially heaven forbid I have less than $1000 wrapped up in two of them. When we all know you can't ever turn out respectable food unless you spend upwards of $2k on a stick burner.
In any case. Those 2 super autos look like well made nice machines that can likely turn out a respectable if not wonderful brew.

Well delivered as promised.
This machine is awesome. Still dialing it in but after about the 5th shot... excellent espresso with the push of a button. Looks brand new and still had the blue film on the drop tray.
Super stoked.

Attachments

• 1000010308.jpg
    1000010308.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 14

Back