Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doug ep:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
When you see the Weber Restaurant in Chicago I think it's all without the lid I believe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, they use Ranch Kettles and Kingsford, underneath exhaust hoods. They do use the lids, pretty much all the time. The exhaust vacuum is so strong, it will pull tongues of flame 5-6 inches out the top of the lids, even with a 3 zone fire. Their site WGR says they use multiple kettles, each at diff temps, as hot as 1500F.

Fun place to go when in Chicago/Schaumburg/Lombard area... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at the one in Schaumburg. The food was good and the lids were on/off as required. Yes, it really was a cool place. Bunches of huge kettles loaded and working the food. It's funny I had been in Chicago about a year before this visit and saw the advertisement in a dining mag and chalked it up as hokey. Big mistake.

My gf works in chicago on occasion and stays right across the restauarant. Next time she goes she wants to fly me there. IF so, it's a must visit!

Thanks guys for all your posts, that is why I love this site, just an huge source of information and knowledge from a bunch of hard
core master grillers. I will try doing some burgers cooked to medium rare first one with the lid and the second one without, I will probably not be able to the tell the difference.
LOL

Thanks again for all the excellent ideas..

Anthony

Wanted a high heat to do some calamari and was thinking over the chimney but I chickened out
so I tried some lump in the baskets with the
baskets in the center pushed together with no lid and they came out quite tasty. I tried marinating them in milk. Do you guys have a
anther method for tenderizing squid.

Anthony

Squid don't need tenderizing. If cooked briefly they will be tender, if cooked long (usually in a braise) they will be tender--there is no in-between though. Cooked past the point of tenderness when cooking briefly and they will get tough. Longer cooking is then needed but they will stay tough till they have cooked long enough.

I always cook squid quickly and the squid is always more tender when marinated in milk then beaten with a mallet. I rememeber about 20 years
ago a greek restaurant I used to go to had a dryer in the back where they would throw in the octopus to soften it up.

Anthony

Anthony

huh, i just throw them on for a quick cook. seems to work without doing anything else. love squid or better yet, little octopi.

For squid as always kevin is spot on with the cooking hints.
I generally simmer my squid in white wine and water for 1 1/2" hours cool and then serve with a dipping sause or marinated in an asian inspired marinade, alternatively you couls try this recipe, Note it is done with the lid down to hasten the cooking. served with a sweet chilli sauce it is the ideal appetizer for afternoon drinks. I serve this and chicken wings on a regular basis as hot finger food.

Calamari Sausage
1 fresh Calamari or 2 Calamari tubes
2 cloves garlic
2 chillies
Small piece of ginger
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
If using fresh calamari, clean the Calamari (make sure you strip the hard sucker scales from the legs and skin from the hood) and retain the legs and hood. Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Place the mixture on a sheet of foil (shiny side up) and roll into a 25 – 30 mm roll wrap completely in several layers of the foil and twist the ends to seal them.
Preheat the Weber Q on high for 10 minutes. Cook the Calamari Sausage for 2 ½ minutes turn and cook for a further 2 ½ minutes. Serve with a sweet chilli sauce.

Regards

Well I tried some cooks without the lid and was
not impressed, did some porktenderloin which took to long to get to the internal temp I was looking for and but did get up to speed with the lid on.

Next one were large scallops and it was the same thing, took to long to cook, so from now on its the lid for this boy..

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back