Competition Questions from a Noob

And depending on what part of the country you are in, "Chef's choice" pretty much just means surf and turf if you want to win. At least it does in the mid-west where some variation of this theme wins damn near every chef's choice I've ever seen. Judges don't seem to appreciate much outside of that.

(queue a bunch of people running in here and proving me wrong about how they won with a rack of lamb or some such)

and don't worry about the "Anything Butt" category, it is not mandatory and does not affect your score for the meat categories. In fact, if this is your first comp, don't even do it. Concentrate on your 4 meats.

Sounds like great advice, thanks. I will plan not to participate in the Anything Butt. I think I will have my hands FULL with the 4 meats!

I thought of one more newbie question.

You don't HAVE to have an outdoor sink to compete, do you? I've noticed in pictures that it seems like alot of people have those. I can definitely see it being beneficial, but it seems like they cost a pretty penny, and there's no way I can afford that right now.

I assume I would need to bring water in jugs, and just pour it over my hands to wash them off. Kinda like camping style I guess.

Oh, and 2nd question....

The contest rep called me and noticed the gas can in my Weber performer and said I should check with the KCBS to make sure those type of grills are allowed. I know the rules are that you can use propane for lighting coals, but not cooking, which I intend to do. Just making sure I can use this grill- does anyone else bring their performer to KCBS comps?

One thing you might be able to do to ensure no questions are asked is to just light some coals and then pull your tank and set it aside. This way there is no need for anyone to question or badger you about it. Just a thought. I cook in mostly IBCA, so I'm not sure how harsh KCBS is on having ANY other heat source in the camp, but I'd think this would put any concern to rest.

I thought of one more newbie question.

You don't HAVE to have an outdoor sink to compete, do you? I've noticed in pictures that it seems like alot of people have those. I can definitely see it being beneficial, but it seems like they cost a pretty penny, and there's no way I can afford that right now.

I assume I would need to bring water in jugs, and just pour it over my hands to wash them off. Kinda like camping style I guess.

Oh, and 2nd question....

The contest rep called me and noticed the gas can in my Weber performer and said I should check with the KCBS to make sure those type of grills are allowed. I know the rules are that you can use propane for lighting coals, but not cooking, which I intend to do. Just making sure I can use this grill- does anyone else bring their performer to KCBS comps?

We have never HAD to have a sink. They usually have a place to wash things or access to water so you can hook up a hose. If you were doing it all the time it would obviously be helpful but not a requirement. They may require water in a container on site and most require a fire extinguisher.

Possibly another newbie question. I see on the contest rules that you have to provide a Tax ID# for prize money purposes.

After some googling, it seems a tax ID# is often just your SSN. Do most contests accept your SSN as your tax id#?

Possibly another newbie question. I see on the contest rules that you have to provide a Tax ID# for prize money purposes.

After some googling, it seems a tax ID# is often just your SSN. Do most contests accept your SSN as your tax id#?

Yes, you'll have to fill out a W-9 I believe if you win any monetary award. A SS# or tax ID# will be required to to fill out the form. Tax ID# are for LLCs, S Corps and such.

One more question. I just read over the 2013 KCBS rules and I have a question concering rule #10, the pork section. The rule states: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic, and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five pounds. Pork shall be cooked whole and shall not be separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker.

Just to confirm- this applies to pork only, right? For instance, you can separate the flat/point from the brisket mid-way through cooking, and then cook the point more to make burnt ends...correct?

I assume the pork rule is for the money muscle slicing that people do. I've never tried that at home- how necessary is that for placing well in the pork category?

Last edited:
Yes, pork only. This rule changes in 2014. The money muscle slices are not required

One more question. I just read over the 2013 KCBS rules and I have a question concering rule #10, the pork section. The rule states: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic, and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five pounds. Pork shall be cooked whole and shall not be separated during the cooking process. At no time shall the meat once separated be returned to a cooker.

Just to confirm- this applies to pork only, right? For instance, you can separate the flat/point from the brisket mid-way through cooking, and then cook the point more to make burnt ends...correct?

I assume the pork rule is for the money muscle slicing that people do. I've never tried that at home- how necessary is that for placing well in the pork category?

We take a plastic storage bin for a sink and fill an igloo cooler with hot water at home. It will stay hot a long time. Try to simplify everything as much as possible i.e. use disposable items that don't need washing, etc. I put my sauces in a Nalgene bottle, they don't break when you drop them, and label which meat the sauce is for. Try not to take anything you won't need. You will start accumulating lots of stuff you think you might need but generally don't.

DivaQ has a good checklist you might look at. Google it.

Don't do people's choice etc. until you have some comps under your belt. You will be busier than you can imagine just with the 4 meats. A written schedule to follow is a must for me, plus I set the critical times in my iPhone for an alarm. I am embarrassed to say the things I have forgotten to do even with the list.

Finally, don't try anything or any rub or sauce that you first haven't tried at home. Very tempting to read a new nugget and think it will help you. If you like this comp stuff, take a comp class. I know they are expensive but it will shorten your learning curve big time. Cooking in competition is nothing like cooking at home.

As far as fire extinguishers go, does the type matter? I've read some other threads where it sounds like most people recommend an ABC type (no clue what that means) and the 5 pound size.

The KCBS rules don't seem to specify the type of extinguisher. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Most recommend an ABC, but you knew that :), just pick one up they are cheap and you can never have too many, well I guess you could ...

ABC is the type, I could explain it or you can read it. Google is your friend
http://www.brkelectronics.com/faqs/oem/what-do-the-abc-ratings-mean-on-fire-extinguishers

As far as fire extinguishers go, does the type matter? I've read some other threads where it sounds like most people recommend an ABC type (no clue what that means) and the 5 pound size.

The KCBS rules don't seem to specify the type of extinguisher. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Back