Compatible smoke woods

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hello All! Just wondering if we have a list or know of one that lists which smoke wood compliments another smoke wood.
i.e. Pecan and Cherry under a chicken, or Oak and Hickory under a Boston Butt.

Chris posted this just the other day.
I'm sure some combinations can be made easily off of this.
As far as taste, I think we all would have different opinions so it would be hard to say for sure.

Thanks Darryl! I think this may actually be an easy task.
I'm smoking a Boston Butt Sunday, I have Apple, Hickory, Oak, Maple, Cherry, Peach, Pecan and maybe some others available.
Any recommendations based on experience?? Prefer to use something 'different'.

I go by basic rules but can make changes...just for a change.
My go to's are
Beef - Hickory for sure, I like to add Pecan or something that isn't " sweet ".
Chicken - my new impossible to beat favorite is the peach I just acquired. Everything is else too much flavor for me with chicken.
Pork.....ribs and butts I treat the same. I was used to using cherry and apple a lot, I do like this flavor. More recently I have been enjoying Pecan with most of my meats.
I have a bag of Alder too......I used it all the time with pellets but don't really know where it belongs in wood chunks.
While I don't think settling on the same flavor all the time is a good idea, I would like to think that swapping up a mix between apple, cherry, pecan and peach would be a suitable selection. I do not have or have ever had maple or oak ( besides my old pellet grill ) so I cannot speak much about the flavors of that smoke with or without mixing woods.

have a bag of Alder too......I used it all the time with pellets but don't really know where it belongs in wood chunks.
We love Alder on Chicken, now I get it from the right coast ( New York state) from Smokinlicious.
The stuff from the PNW reminds me of Cedar which I don't like.

We love Alder on Chicken, now I get it from the right coast ( New York state) from Smokinlicious.
The stuff from the PNW reminds me of Cedar which I don't like.
Hi Timothy! I would have never thought of using Cedar. Things that are in the 'Evergreen' family don't say 'smokewood' to me. ;-)

My 2 favorite 'different' woods are apricot and plum....with plum being one of my favorites ever, it was somewhere between cherry and apple but with a unique 'flavor twist'....I lucked out and got both free from coworkers. I did an experiment using skinless/boneless chicken breasts, mainly because they are a very neutral flavor, and a simple salt/sugar brine and smoked batches with different types of wood, took them to work and asked for volunteers (everyone did) and well over 50% of the guesses of wood type were correct, with some people being 80% accurate so i love the idea of using different woods and different combination.

If you can get your hands on some plum wood give it a try

Back