Comparison

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
Where I shop,full spares are $2.49/lb when not on sale. St. Louis trim are $3.29/lb. Anybody have any idea which is the better deal considering I remove the "big" bone on the bottom and do some other trimming.

This is an experiment I did quite a while ago. St. Louis spares at the same high-end grocer are currently $4.29/lb. these days, $3.69/lb. when on sale.

That's an easy decision. I go with the full spares and St. Lou-ize them before cooking.

The trimmings get rubbed and smoked along with the ribs. They're ready in about three hours and make a great snack for an impatient cook. Or, the meat can be pulled clean and tossed into a pot of beans.

Like I said, it's an easy choice for me but YMMV.

Ken

Pat,

Not sure about your locality, but warehouse stores (Costco in California) routinely sell excellent cryo-vac baby back ribs for $3.99 pound Yes, it bit more expensive than spares, but I think they're meatier.

-Albert
icon_smile.gif

Been away from the PC for 2 days.
Thanks for the feedback. It appears from Doug,if you don't care to do anything with the trimmingspre-trimmed is the way to go. If you don't mind trimming and have a use for them,full sopares is the way to go. Both sides of the discussion. Excellent.

Back