Coming out of Weberitis retirement and I have the same conundrum that I never figured out before :(

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.......So after many months of clean finger nails I have stacked up 4 1000's almost by accident. I quickly got the Weberitis vaccine and I am holding at 4 grills buy might need a booster soon as I find myself checking CL and FB daily now. I used to focus mainly on Silver B's and I didnt realize how smart that was. Now that I am dinking around w 1000's I see they have a whole set of issues that come along with being old and cooked in a lot. All that said I have figured out the frame issues and the thin cook boxes but painting end caps and cook boxes that have missing paint or big chips is still my issue. I did find a sand blaster so that is an option......but it cost me $30 or so for a cook box and end caps and they blast my aluminum a bit thinner........or I could just paint right over the bare spots and get shiny blotches in my work :( .......so todays question is......if I dont want to sand blast.....and I dont want to wire wheel to bare aluminum.......has anyone figured out a way to paint over the grill parts that have patches of missing paint and it not turn out shiny and or blotchy???? As some of u may remember I was a big fan of rolling on 2 coats and creating a heavy texture to mask said blotchy areas......but for me....best case scenario would be like a high heat primer for just the patchy spots....followed by rolling on 2 thin coats of Rustoleum High Heat satin from the Qt. Is anyone using a high heat primer?

My friends you missed where I am coming from.........I just didnt word it correctly............Have any of you come up with a way to paint an end cap that had chips or patches of missing paint down to bare aluminum? Please note......We all know if the paint is chipped or patchy the end result of my paint job over these imperfections will look blotchy and shiny.........so my question is really......has anyone figured out a way to mask the chips and bare spots so we can just paint away vs sand blasting or wire wheeling? There just has to be a way to get those patches to blend with the rest of the paint.

If you're playing with thousands now trust me you'll have just as much fun figuring out what to do with slat tables as you have with fireboxes and end caps :)

Back