combo cook

James Satriano

I have a question on cooking buts and ribs. I have some folks coming over on Saturday and plan to do ribs and more folks coming on Sunday and plan to serve PP. I wold like to overnight the buts on Friday and do the ribs on Saturday while the buts finish. My question is concerning smoke wood. Do I add more when the ribs go on or do I run the risk of over smoking the buts? Any advice?

You need to add wood when the ribs go in. YOu can either use more wood than you would normally, or you can use less at the start of the butt cook and add the rest when you put on the ribs.

I suspect you'll need to add wood at the time you add the ribs to get the smoke flavor for the ribs. Your original wood would have gone overnight with the butts and I doubt if much would be left even if you added extra at the beginning.

The problem might be adding too much smoke flavor to the butts with the extra wood. I have seen people using offsets lightly cover their meat with foil to avoid too much smoke flavor when they're burning logs. That might help some with the WSM, but the smoke will be coming up from below the butts - still I expect it would provide some protection.

Paul

I should have been clearer. What I meant by 'use more wood than you would normally': Let's say you'd normally use 5 chunks for butts. You could start the ccok with the 5 chunks then add 2, say, with the ribs. Your total would be 7 chunks--more than the 5 you'd use 'normally'. Whether or not you'd think your butt oversmoked depends on your taste and the wood choice(s). Unless one's using mesquite (which I never use on long cooks and never on pork) then--for me--it's hard to oversmoke butt, given reasonable limits, even when using straight hickory. I often cheat in some fruit wood regardless. It's a personal preference though.

The alternative is to split your normal amount and start with less for the butt and add the rest with the ribs, 3 and 2 using the example above, e.g.

i plan to use oak and cherry for the smoke. I think I'll start with 3 oak and 2 cherry for the buts and add 1 and 1 when the ribs go on. Sound OK?

Back