Cold weather cook

Mike Felt

TVWBB Member
Ran the WSM today under adverse conditions...temps in the low to mid 40's, strong north winds and occasional snow (yes, May 1 in Minnesota!). Thanks to the 3 panel plywood wind shield I built (great idea found on TVWB site!), the WSM maintained the perfect 250 lid temp for 4 hours for ribs. I had a beer can chicken going on my Weber Silver B gasser and that struggled to hold 350 due to the weather. Once again, the WSM delivered great results!

Thanks mike,

As a newbie here I was hoping to hear about good results in the cold (chicago area can be frigid)!

Josh

Yep, it can be done...although the rest test will come when I attempt a run in December or January! In the meantime, this site has a great section on cold weather cooking. The wind is the enemy, as they say!

Cold weather cooks are not an issue at all. I'm sure the 3 sided panel works well, but getting a cover from the BBQ Guru or a hot water heater wrap (Try to find one with the foil on both sides) will do the same job, and save on fuel use.
I'm sure Chicago get's more days of frigid temps than I get, but I have smoked in minus 8 wind chill with no problems.
You'll get some looks from people, but it will be looks of envy when they take a good wiff or get a look at what YOUR having for dinner!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

On cold days I like to use my smoker in the garage. I open the garage door and the back one for good ventilation, then put the smoker in a protected corner near the garage door (cement floor, no combustibles around). Protects it and me from a lot of the worse wind and weather. Leaves a nice smell in the garage after your done also.

No problemo...
As you read through this great forum, you'll see posts from people (like me) that have done overnighters in -17 degrees and still been able to get some sleep.

[voice=Yoda]"Fear not, you will. Yours, The most delicious Q will be." [/voice]

Back