Cold Weather Bullet Concerns & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Lynch

TVWBB Member
Hi,

Started a cook yesterday around 6:00 am with a full ring of charcoal, using the Minion Method. Things went fine for about 8 hours, but then my temps wouldn't climb over 210-220 at the grate, running wide open. The temp was about 50 and windy. At the 8 hour mark I added another chimney to the fire, thinking this would take me home to the 12-13 hour mark. Instead, the new chimney (which is a bit smaller than Webers)only provided temps in the 235 range (top grate)for about 30-40 minutes and then steadily dropped down again. At the 9 hour mark I basically started the Minion Method all over again. All said, I used an entire 20lb bag of charcoal for my 14 hour cook. I tried to maintain 240-245 at the top grate.

1. Were my temp problems just due to the windy conditions and hi cooking temp I was trying to maintain?

2. Will I even be able to do a long cook when the windy winter arrives? A wind screen probably isnt an option

Finally, the brisket and butt were awesome, I'm just a bit dissapointed on the amount of charcoal i needed to use and am a bit afraid I won't be able to use my Bullet this Winter!

Wind has a tendency to 'suck' the heat right out of the WSM. There are some situations where you can actually increase your temps by closing rather than opening your vents. If you have your WSM set up in an area that is prone to wind you may want to consider building a simple wind-screen.

Wind screen is the answer for sure. You should be able to find 2' x 4' 3/4" ply wood at your local big box hardware store. Or cut yourself from full sheet and save some money. I made one with a hinged top as well. great place to put your lid when you need to take it off. I have cooked in some very cold and windy conditions with good temp. control.

For all overnight (and poultry) cooks I leave the water pan empty. One of the functions of the water is to act as a heat sink. Without this heat sink, less fuel is required to obtain the required BBQ temps. It's the only way to BBQ in the winter. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Being new to this I have a question to your response.

So chicken/turkey no water in the bowl?

I live in Idaho and planning on smoking the Thanksgiving turkey, it gets cold that time of year (could be snowing and 30 or lower).

Can the Weber handle this situation and properly cook the bird?

I've read that on poultry higher cooking temps are required for proper skin texture, can I get this at 30 degrees?

Thanks,

The only thing I use, other than vent control in bad weather, is making sure I keep the cooker out of the wind. I don't find low temps, rain or snow to be a problem.

Joe
Us fat boys have a problem with excessive sweating in the tropics! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim

While it doesn't get that cold here too often, I've cooked in the 40's with no problems. The empty water pan will let you achieve the 325-350* temps you are looking for to do poultry in the WSM. Poultry can be done at lower temps in order to cook combinations of different meats at the same time, but at the expense of desirable crispy skin. I don't think I'll ever go back to doing holiday turkeys in the oven again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]Joe
Us fat boys have a problem with excessive sweating in the tropics! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim,
That's what beer is for!

I read somewhere that a 55 gal drum with both ends cut out works well in windy conditions, but cannot speak from experience YET!

Well, when you have to cook at temperatures all the way down in the 40's /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif , that's pretty serious and may hold severe consequences for the "Q" product you put out. (Just kidding Doug D), wind is the killer. I move my WSM into my garage, which faces south and place it near the open door. Most of our winter winds are from the north and west, so the house acts as a big wind screen. Lowest temp that I cooked at last year was 9*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back