cold smoking

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Lately I've been thinking about buying a smoker that I can do cold smoking with. Don't get me wrong...I love the WSM, but it's just not made for cold smoking. I'd especially like it for bacon. I don't want to fully cook the entire belly if I decide to start making bacon. I'd like to cold smoke it.

Any recs on cold smokers? I was thinking the "Bradley" one (but I have a lot more research to do).

Thanks,

Phil

I use the WSM for cold smoking. I put my flower pot base and about 8 fire bricks in the freezer (or outside if it is cold). I start with three or four lit briquettes with a wood chunk on top. Cold flower pot base goes in the water pan and cold fire bricks go on the bottom rack. If I plan to go more than 90 minutes, then I stash some more fire bricks in the freezer so I can swap them out at the 90 minute mark. I have gone 3 hours at under 100 degrees with this method. If you don't have fire bricks, you could use anything with a lot of mass.

Is this the recommended method for smoking Canadian-style bacon, too? I've got some fresh pork bellies curing. (3 days soaking in their own juices thus far.) At the same time, I also cut a 10 lb BJ's pork tenderloin into 4 pieces ~ 9 inches long and applied the same cure to those. I'll be looking to smoke these around the middle of next week.

I'm intrigued. This method works well for you, then?

Thanks,
Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm intrigued. This method works well for you, then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, this method works well for me, especially if you do it when the temp outside is cool or cold.

Back