Cold smoked salmon (lox) in about 2 days

You need to get yourself a yanagiba! They are also great for carving turkeys and brisket.
i've owned and used this one for 25+ years now. it does all my carving (brisket & turkey) and is great on raw and cooked fish (this lox): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00807QEEG/?tag=tvwb-20

the one issue i run into when lox slicing is that the fish can stay on the knife due to suction; lack of air pockets on the blade.

this one is on my list, maybe, if i decide to buy an additional slicer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWK7VIU/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited:
Wasnt totally sure about the non beached sugar vs regular white sugar. I passed on using turbinado and went with the white stuff.
you can use white, bleached sugar. it works fine. we just prefer to use less processed products, thus we don't want bleached food in our diet. the sugar we buy is unbleached sugar. Costco sells it. it's minimally processed.

turbinado, iirc, is boiled and concentrated from the cane, thus the larger crystals. i don't know how it breaks down so i have no data to add on using it.

The lox tasted amazing.
thanks! great to hear you liked it and had success. lmk if the process i posted needs any clarification or more detailing, please. my goal is to make is as simple as possible to replicate, regardless of anyone's skill or experience level.

I am a neophyte compared to Brett.
you should have been around for the failures. some were quite bad. like really bad. at $30+ an experiment, i had to learn and build this recipe quickly.

Brett - Thank you for the wonderful recipe and help on this site. Happy & Healthy New Year to you.
you're very welcome and wishing the same to you and your family. a Healthy, Happy, Wealthy and safe New Year!

This is the knife I use for my sashimi, lox, turkey, roasts and briskets etc.

I would highly recommend the following book. It describes the different knife types and how to use them with very good pictures of the different cutting/slicing techniques for each. As a bonus there are also a bunch of great recipes.
"Japanese Kitchen Knives - Essential Techniques and Recipes " by Hiromitsu Nozaki with Kate Klippensteen

Back