Cold smoked salmon in a Go Anywhere

For cold smoking recipes there's a pdf at this link, based on Luhr Jensen Big/Little Chief smokers.

http://www.smokehouseproducts.com/LCRB.pdf

I have smoked lots of salmon in the past when we had a viable salmon population on the west coast. They usually smoke for about 2 hrs and then 6-8 more hrs of drying time in the cooker with low heat.

John

GEDC0533.jpg

here is mine i made. I use an old soldering iron with a NEW tip in it. I fill the cookie tin full of chips. There is a hole large enough in the lid for the soldering iron to go through. Plug it in and in no time, i have TBS(thin blue smoke)

Hi Matt,

Although you get some whispy smoke from the can, it is somewhat limited. I have also tried this method and the standout difference between the two models is

1\ poor burn with wasted chips. the porky pa's replica provides nearly 100% burn, about a teaspoon of ashes.
2\ for longer smokes, you have to open your smoker to add more chips where as with the replica you can just take off the lid and add more.

That said i wonder if adding some fresh oxygen, via a pump would changed the outcome.

dave

hmm, i guess im not understanding your cold smoker then. i thought it burnt very small amounts of chips at a time?

Today, actually, i discovered the hot plate smoker type. so i have an idea for that being used as my cold smoker as well. i can use some dryer vent tube to redirect the smoke to the cooking or cold smoking chamber that houses me food.

thanks

Mark can you send me more info o the cold smoker. I want to build one myself.

Thanks<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark R-S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i've slowly been working on one of those smoker gadjets also. glad to see that it works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are you making yours out of, George?

I'd been planning to make a cold smoke generator for ages, but had been wondering how to do it since I don't have a lot of metal working tools. I kept my eyes open for something suitable which wouldn't require too much modification, and then I found this:

20-718_h.jpg

It's an oil suction pump for removing oil from small things like lawn mowers. It's just about perfect for turning into a cold smoke generator because it's a good size (about 12" long), has removable ends and already has a nozzle on the bottom. All I had to do was 1) remove the plunger and block the hole in the lid 2) add a nozzle at the top for the smoke 3) add a grid in the bottom, I used an old tea strainer, and 4) connect an aquarium pump. I used silicone tubing since PVC couldn't take the heat.

The whole lot cost 16 bucks - 5 for the oil sucker and 11 for the air pump.

Here it is in action:

18052010600.jpg

I puts out a good amount of smoke for a couple of hours, or probably more if I would reduce the air flow.

If anybody would like more details or pictures on how to construct one just let me know.

-Mark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back