Cold Smoke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary R Miller:
If I am not mistaken your temp inside your smoker should not exceed 90 to 100 degress. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You are correct. Cold smoking is done in the 60 - 80 degree range. You cold smoke the meat and this process doesn't melt the fat so it doesn't change the texture of the meat. Once smoked through it's brought up to a internal temp without smoke of 140. Of course the use of sodium nitrate/pink salt is critical for this process to ward off the nasties that want to make us sick.

Go checkout the book entitled MASTERING THE CRAFT OF SMOKING FOOD by Warren Anderson. Although it mostly concerns hot smoking, the book ss quite informative and touches on the subject of hot smoking. I just spoke with the author over the telephone and he's a very nice and gentle person.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You cold smoke the meat and this process doesn't melt the fat so it doesn't change the texture of the meat. Once smoked through it's brought up to a internal temp without smoke of 140. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending on what you are making, you often do not have to bring it up to 140, for example, if cold smoking cured salmon for gravlax. Bacon can be cold-smoked as well without bringing to 140, as it is cured and you are going to cook it later.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You cold smoke the meat and this process doesn't melt the fat so it doesn't change the texture of the meat. Once smoked through it's brought up to a internal temp without smoke of 140. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending on what you are making, you often do not have to bring it up to 140, for example, if cold smoking cured salmon for gravlax. Bacon can be cold-smoked as well without bringing to 140, as it is cured and you are going to cook it later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Correct, I was just giving a example for say smoked sausage which is very popular for the novice home person smoker person to try. Salmon will never be seen on my WSM, YUK
icon_razz.gif
Most bacon recipes I have are taken to 140 after the cold smoking stage. What's not to love about about eating bacon before frying. And then there's hotdogs, they are equally as good cold out of the fridge as long as they were taken to 140. Yes there are some recipes that do not require the 140 internal, but many more than not do.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Bacon can be cold-smoked as well without bringing to 140, as it is cured and you are going to cook it later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>True--although most producers that cold smoke bacon after curing (with nitrite in the mix) do take it to 128 to stabilize enzyme activity.

They are naturally present in the meat. Apparently, that temp inactivates enzymes that, I'm guessing, contribute to shorter shelf life. I'm not sure though. This came up in discussion on curing and smoking bacon I had a while ago with some food microbiologists, as an aside. It wasn't the point of the conversation; it's an assumption I'm making based on my understanding of enzyme activity in meats. It could be, also or alone, an issue of texture.

Back