Cold in the Morning !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan Jones

TVWBB Member
Tried my first over nighter last night. Used the Mr Brown rub.
Did a 'Minion' start, stabalized at 255, with all bottom vents closed and the lid at 40% open.
Went to bed at 11:30 pm. At 6:00am checked and it was cold!

Meat was at 118, coals were grey and the wood not yet gone.
No rain, but a heavy damp mist, about 60*.

So I toped the coals off, mopped and opened up all vents.
It came to life and the top grill is at 178 and climbing.

Other than I should have left the bottom vents open a little, has anyone got any other comments?
Any concern about bacteria on the surface?

Allan
/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Allan,

I would have left all bottom vents partially open and the lid vent completely open. I have done many overnighters and have never had a problem when using this method. The fire must have air to burn.

If I were you, I would definitely throw the meat out. Remember the 40/140 rule (food should be kept under 40? or over 140?). Your health is worth more than a hunk of meat. When in doubt, throw it out!

Steve

Sorry to hear about the stalled overnight Allan. FWIW I personally have not been able to close the bottom vents completely for any cook. It cuts off to much air in my WSM. Once I get the dome to temp I'll close all bottom vents 50% and go from there. As Steve notes, always leave the top vent open fully.

George

Allen
Leave the top vent open and at least one vent open some, you were just not getting enough air to keep the cook going thru the night. As the ash builds up without a bottom vent open you had no chance to keep the fire going.
If your cooking overnight and going to sleep, worry less about the pit temp climbing some, you can cook BBQ from 200 to 270? without worring about scorching the sugars in the rub.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back