Cold brisket

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
First off, is there an easy way to separate the point from the flat on a cooked, rested, and chilled brisket?

Secondly, for those of you who chill then slice your briskets on an electric meat slicer: Do you slice up the point right along with the flat?

I prefer to separate the flat and the point once they've rested and still hot and then refridgerate both pieces. I'll usually slice the flat on the slicer (and because I've already separated the two pieces and removed the excess fat, I can see the cut of the grain on the flat perfectly. Which makes for easy slicing). I save the point for burnt ends to be cooked some other time.

Point is, I started late last night and I may not have time to stick around and separate the briskets I have cooking now. Should I just chill em whole, then separate and/or slice later? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick

I've had no problem separating the flat and point - either hot or cold. Cold, it doesn't quite just pull apart from eachother like it does when still hot after cooking, but a knife does easy work in separating the two, just by following the layer of fat between the two.

I have seperated before cooking a couple of times and it isn't too bad. I can't imagine it being any worse after being cooked.

I like to seperate mine when I pull it off the smoker. I foil the point and put back on the smoker for a couple of more hours. It definately is easy to seperate when hot.

Back