Cold Air Temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As I said in my earlier post "This weekend for sure" I am dong a butt and some ribs... Someone suggested that I do the butt through the night - then the ribs tomorrow afternoon... Others suggested that I get up real early and put the butt on and the ribs later... Still not sure which way I'll go - but my question is this... It is supposed to get down to between 35* and 40* here tonight... How much extra time should I allow for the meat in those type of temperatures, especially if I decide to let the butt smoke through the night... I will have it under a covered carport and will be mostly protected from any wind...
Thanks once again !!

I wouldn't think you would have add time to the meat.You just may burn more charcoal to compesate for the cooler temps.If you keep your cooker at your normal cooking temp your meat should finish at the same time it normally does.Hope this helps.
Willy T.

You will also probably have to keep all 3 bottom vents open in cold temperatures.

Hi Gary!

Low temps will only affect the WSM when the temp gets into single digit territory. Last weekend I cooked an 8 lb. butt overnight, where the temps hit 30?. The WSM dropped to 188? at it's lowest. I ended up getting a 23 hour burn..with some caveats.

I will make a post in the advanced section on my experiment along this line.

Like Kevin said cold temps no big deal but wind is another story.
I would start with a full ring of ccharcoal for a butt anyway and you may want to start with more lit charcoal at light off, butt 30 to 40? is not a problem with for a WSM.
Jim
PS: Kevin, real interested in your future post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rocky:
[qb]You will also probably have to keep all 3 bottom vents open in cold temperatures.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. This weekend at the Royal, I had two WSM's running in 37? temps. They ran consistently at 250 +/- 5? for the whole cook. I think it has to do more with the amount of hot coals added if doing the minion method. We added a full weber chimney of coals on top of a full ring. Had I only used the 18-36 hot coals, then we would have had a much cooler temp.

Well, when I used both of my WSM's a week ago, I had to keep all 3 vents open or the temp would drop below 225. I had the smokers almost in the garage out of the wind. So there wasn't a whole lot of wind where they were at. It was about 40-50 degrees out. And it eventually warmed up to 65. I had both charcoal rings full. If I opened the doors, they would get hotter, but with all 3 vents open on both smokers, they never got over 260 for 16 hours. If I even closed 1 vent, they would drop below 225. I had 1 brisket and 1 pork butt in each smoker. I even checked again by opening the door and letting the temp jump up to 400, then closed the door and it dropped to 250. all 3 vents still open. Maybe higher altitude affects it? I am at about 3000-3500 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back