Codfish w/cinnamon cumin rub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
I am now smoking codfish over apple wood using a cinnamon/cumin rub.

Anybody want to take a guess at how it's gonna turn out?

Hey.. what me worry.... daring... unafraid.

Rob O

I'm really anxious to hear how that cod turns out. I'd like to hear the details. Fresh cod is one of my favorite fish to eat. I don't know if east coast cod is the same fish as north Pacific cod.

Griff

Hi Griff. It turned out pretty good.

Using the WSM to cook the cod was great. It came out nice and moist.

I'm going to work on the rub recipe a little though. Here's what I used:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup celery salt
1/4 cup paprika
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

It's from the turkey breast section on this site. I think next time I'm going to take out the chili and cumin and substute chineese five spice powder one for one.

Rob, How long did it take to cook? I just finished dinner (brisket) that was fantastic! It was a small brisket (4.75 lbs.). Put it on at 7:30 this morning and pulled it off the WSM at 6:30 PM. (I cook at 210 - 220 tops) Moist and tender, and vacumn packed the balance for another meal.
icon_biggrin.gif

WTG Nick. I'm really becoming a brisket fan.

I did about a 1.25 lb fillet of salmon and about .75 or cod. All told the fish cooked in about an hour and a half to two hours give or take.

I cooked it to 150. Then pulled it off the WSM.

The salmon is even better the next day.

Oh almost forgot. I used some of that apple wood I picked up yesteday at the orchard. No problems there.

I've got a hunk of salmon in the freezer I've got to try! My wife is still asking for the turket breast.But I told my daughter I'd do ribs next weekend for her. What a menu, ribs and turkey!
icon_confused.gif

Nick...throw them both a curve ball and do a BUTT
icon_smile.gif

ROB.......where's the pics bro? You know for those of us with nothing smoking at the moment that it's all about the pics LOL. Sounded good.

OH no not ROB.................wonder which will get the scoop first. FOX NEWS or CNN? Any thoughts LOL...........BREAKING NEWS ON FOX NEWS................there ROB was smoking his fish and then ?????????????????/

SEE this is what happens when we get bored and Rob leaves us on the TVWBB alone un-supervised hahaha

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Rob,

Saw that you used 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon and cumin. How faint or strong did that taste to you? When I read the post subject I had visions of cinna-smoke pouring out of a WSM but the rub looks really interesting!

Hi guys,

Nope. The only way my wife is "taking me out" is working me to death paying for my children's inheiritance......

Anyway to answer Jimbo's question, the tastes I got were in order:

1. sugar
2. salt
3. chili
4. cinnamon

IMHO the chili really didn't work with the fish. I'm also going to cut way back on the smoke wood next time. maybe only about a 3/4 fist piece.

The cumin was unnoticeable and the cinnamon was barely there. Felt it could use some more of a pungent taste so that's why I was thinking five spice.

What I will say is the WSM was a great way to cook the cod. Moist, flavorful. It was excellent from that perspective.

Can't wait to try smapper or grouper.

I'm also going to dig out a recipe I have for Miso soaked sea bass (soaked in sake and brown sugar) to try to adapt that. Should work great.

The one problem with that recipe is going to be that it benefits form a high temp. that carmelizes the sugar. Going to need to think about that.

OOOps. Sorry. I forgot this is the BBQ forum. Please don't banish me for posting something about miso soaked sea bass. It's been tough at work..... I'll be back to ribs an brisket in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back