Coal?

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
I was getting my propane tank filled yesterday, and I noticed that the place where I got it sold bags of anthracite coal. Has anyone ever cooked with it? Does that even sound like a good idea. When I was a kid, there was a pizza place in Lodi that had a coal fired pizza oven, and the pizza was great. I appreciate any thoughts/shared experiences.

I have never heard of using coal for bbqing unless your cooking HH brisket in a blast furnace. When anthracite burns it is pretty hot and almost smokeless, not sure what it is like when it smolders like charcoal. That said is is an ingredient used the production of briquettes.

Thats an interesting question. I looked around but couldn't find any definitive answer other than in the pizza ovens the air intake and exhaust is different than a smoker and grill. I think it allows the heat to radiale to the food without the gases flowing across the food. I would imagine the gases to be pretty nasty. If there is a way to do it that would be awesome. You could cut fuel costs down quite a bit because of the burn properties of anthracite coal. Burns hotter and longer but is a PITA to start,

We have a coal burning cookstove at camp. It has four burners on the top for pots & pans and a separate compartment next to the coal for roasting and baking.
You'd never want to burn coal in a woodstove nor a charcoal burning grill because it'd just burn a big hole in it and whatever is below it! ;-)

Joe do the fumes from the coal actually enter the baking compartment or is it a sealed compartment that just get warmed by the combustion chamber?

There is are several coal fired pizza franchise places coming out recently that use anthracite coal. Have not tried one yet.

Back