Closed Cart vs Open Cart

Howard

Hey guys. I was looking at buying the Genesis II and can't decide between open and closed cart. I live on the Pacific West Coast, are the current closed cart models still prone to rust? Anyone know? I do prefer the closed cart looks + storage but if it's going to rust quickly I might not go for that.

It’s hard to tell if the newer ones will rust like the ones before it. I think if you’re buying new and take good care of your grill and use it often then you probably won’t see rust

If you’re grilling in concrete then use a grill mat...something about the moisture rising from the concrete causes potential rust on a grill.
Also, don’t store metal grates on the metal shelving inside a closed cabinet....do things like that and I think you’ll be fine.

But if you sometimes go weeks or months without using the grill and it’s covered up and all that moisture is building up the. You’ll probably see rust

If I was buying a new grill, I’d buy what I thought looked best and just take good care of it.

I would not recommend a closed cabinet if you live in an area prone to rust,
especially if you will be leaving your grill outdoors most or all of the time.

Weber has been making closed cart grills for at least 15 years and knew within a few years that they posed a rust problem. They problem was never dealt with all the way through the E3xx grills....I guess I have little faith that they have figured out a way to keep the closed grills from rusting with the newest models. But, as stated, if you buy one and and treat it accordingly, you can likely keep the problem at bay much longer than normal. Personally, I like my open cart Genesis 1000. It gives me access from all sides to all the junk I keep under the grill and I don't have to worry about a squirrel jumping out at me when I open the doors.

Back